Clutch slave cylinder bolt

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem in the past.

The clutch had been intermittently failing to disengage meaning I got stuck in neutral unable to select a gear.

Last week driving home I got the bottom of my drive dipped the clutch and bang... my foot hit the floor.  No more resistance on the pedal.  I inspected the master cylinder - all seemed fine.  I then checked the slave and the bolt securing it to the bellhousing had sheared and snapped.  Hence upon pressing the pedal the slave cylinder push rod was merely pushing the cylinder away from the bellhousing rather than moving the clutch fork.  The remedy was obvious - a new bolt and all is fine but I was lucky this happened at the bottom of the drive as I was stuck in gear.

Anybody got any ideas what might have caused this rather unusual and abnormal wear to the clutch bolt.  Bearing in mind I did change the clutch last Christmas?

Regards

Matt

The most likely cause is over tightening the bolts and causing a stress riser somewhere which finally let go under the repetitive stress/relief cycle of engaging the clutch, sounds like a classic case of fatigue. The only other cause could be that it wasn't tight enough and that slop cause similar stresses in the bolt. Did it break under the head or at the thread?

Have you got the slave cylinder the right side of the bell housing?  Perhaps it got fitted incorrectly when you changed the clutch.

When the master cylinder pushes fluid to the slave the slave outer casting pushes against the bell housing face (the bolts simply secure the cylinder & stop it rotating but dont have any real structual force transmitted through them) the forces are transmitted to the bellhousing from the slave body and not via the bolts.

I cant see how the bolts would fail by pressing the clutch if fitted the correct side of the bellhousing.  

:)

Neil