high pitch tone from new alternator ? has me stumped

I have just fitted a new alternator to my TR5, when the engine is running with the alternator not plugged in it runs silently but when you plug it in it makes I high pitch tone. ???

Could anyone shed some light on this, it's the first time I have come across it

James.........................

James,

Before you look for complicated solutions, when plugged it it will be under load and the belt will tighten into the pulley. Could it just be that? Is it possible to run a little water & washing up liquid over the pulley to act as a temporary lubricant to see if it changes?

Alan

More than likely this is due to the belt not running properly because the alternator pulley is out of line with the crank.

Surely, if the noise was caused by pulley mis-alignment, then the noise would be present when the alternator was not plugged in.

Graham

Hi,

When the alternator is under-load you will get the belt noise if the pulleys are not lined up correct or the belt is wrong. Under no-load i.e plug removed the alternator pulley is not loaded. Don't disconnect the plug and run the engine though, you risk kaputing the alternator as I have done.

I had the wine for a year and loved the sound! People asked if I had a super charger. Belt snapped. New one fitted and now no noise..I did shim it as much as possible and am sure the washers are in the correct place, but the luvly noise has gone.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi John

No all in line with each other and all running well.

As Graham said when it's not plugged in runs silent........... plug it in and i get a high pitch ton from the back of the alternator

James

Go me well stumped

".....from the back of the alternator."

Try googling this string:

alternator rectifier diode whine

-it might be the rectifier circuit making the noise:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/25049-alternator-warning-signs/

Peter

but have never experienced it myself..

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Winner Winner chicken dinner

Yep it terms out to be the rectifier circuit, it looks like one of the diode is faulty.

So back to the supplier what a faff.

You do have to love them (the supplier)

I phoned them to explain the problem that I was having and was met with mmmmm are you sure it has been put on the car right, did you get the part from us? when did it arrive and the best one (bearing in mine he is talking to a customer (Me) well that's a new one, haven't herd that be for I will have to put that one the book.

Shame I was not in the show room it would not have been the book I would have tried to put it in

But thanks to all who have helped on this one

James..............................