Tools for tracking/steering alignment

OK sage ones.....

We have for years used a simple extending bar / trammel device to set the toe in/out on the front of the TR - PITA as you need to crawl under the car to measure width between the inner rim faces forward and rearward of hub vert centre - then adjust tracking to suit. (POP with a pit or up on a ramp - I drive the car up ramps now)

In the old days I had access to Dunlop alignment guages but those days are gone. So, at 600 quid a pop for our own new ones, we are sticking with the extending bar trammel and crawling under the car.

However - has any one used this system for DIY not trade - it runs at under £100 a set - Issue is that it will not align front to rear wheels unlike the Dunlop units.

Trackace item

http://www.trackace.co.uk

Dunlop items

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-Optical-Alignment-Gauge-To-Measure-Tracking-Toe-Angles-/301182868899?hash=item461fe5dda3:g:3tgAAOSwg3FUfFbt

Your views on the Trackace item please or any other DIY priced items like the Trackrite pad

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drive-Over-Car-Wheel-Alignment-Gauge-Adjustment-DIY-Guide-New-Free-Delivery-/172017881820?hash=item280d1092dc:g:WvIAAOSwf-VWYBh4

Cheers

Peter W

Peter,

I have used the Trackrite for some years with good results. You do need a very good flat surface to use it on.

Cheers

Graeme

I have also used the Trackrite for years, works well though as Graeme says you do need a smooth floor for it.

Stuart.

Changed the track rod ends recently and had to check the tracking.

Armed with a £4-99 lazer level ( Top quality item !!! ) and a small piece of MDF I was able to place the MDF against the tyre and project the lazer approx 1 meter in-front of the car and then behind ,marking the garage floor with a pen. Measurements revealed an 8mm difference - Which I quickly reduced to 3mm by a quarter turn of the track rod.

Orrrrrrr what about a laser tape measure. Cheap as chips. I came up with this idea in the bath but I think it holds water.

Regards, Pete

Pete,

I don't think, even the most expensive ones, will be accurate enough for this job.

Usually +/- 1.5mm

Cheers

Graeme

Changed the track rod ends recently and had to check the tracking.

Armed with a £4-99 lazer level ( Top quality item !!! ) and a small piece of MDF I was able to place the MDF against the tyre and project the lazer approx 1 meter in-front of the car and then behind ,marking the garage floor with a pen. Measurements revealed an 8mm difference - Which I quickly reduced to 3mm by a quarter turn of the track rod.

Can you provide a bit more detail on your approach please.

Rgds Ian