Could anyone help with a solution?

We have a few TR's in from the USA and have noticed that there is a lot of what we are classing as a Tar or like Underseal on the chassis and running gear.

Does anyone know what it is and also if there is any solvent or chemical we could use to dissolve it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ian

Good luck! Those bituminous undercoatings are a bear to get off. They're usually soluble in diesel, almost always soluble in turpentine, but be prepared for a lot of soaking and scraping.

Petrolo/Gasolene is less smelly and more effective than diesel.

But still a lot of work to remove.

Be careful..

Roger

True, but not that much more effective. The lower volatility of diesel/kerosene lets it stay "wet" on the work surface for longer than petrol/gasoline.

A good paint stripper and a steam cleaner will do the trick/

Stuart.

I like the steam cleaner -- that's a very good upgrade.

Ian, welcome to the forum.

I have stripped the underseal of two cars and initially I used a variety of methods but found the heat gun and scrapers the most effective although labour intensive. Of course, I don't own a steam cleaner so would bow to Stuart's superior knowledge

Cheers

Graeme

This guy uses all of the above! Looks like a lengthy process????

Published on Sep 16, 2013

Removing underseal is often considered one of the worst jobs on an old car. Here I tackle the task using a heat gun,scraper and wire wheel. Some kerosene on a rag removes anything that is missed from the previous mechanical removal onslaught.