Apologies I'm sure this topic has been covered before but I did do a search but can't find the thread.

I'm planning to change the rear bulbs to LED, for the coloured lamps (indicator/brake light) am I better of having clear LED's relying on the lens to colour the light or go for the coloured LED bulbs.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember a comment saying that the coloured LED bulbs gave a better result ?

(Will be changing flasher unit as well)

Can anybody advise

ATB

Graham

White LEDs are no good as the red/orange content of the light is very low compared with an incandescent bulb. If you want to use LEDs they need to be of the right colour.

Here are links to a couple of recent discussions:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/52751-led-bulbs/?hl=bulbs

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/53098-led-brake-lights/?hl=bulbs&do=findComment&comment=436388

Edited by RobH

Thanks Guys as I suspected I need to order the coloured ones

ATB Graham

But no good for sidescreen cars of course where the bulb is vertical instead of end-on.

Hi Hraham, I have some photos of the better lighting bulbs fitted to my car pm me if you want a copy.

Regards Chris

But no good for sidescreen cars of course where the bulb is vertical instead of end-on.

Hi Rob

I'm biased, as we sell them, but we do the right angle bulbs for side screen. Rear/stop and tail. Expensive, but they are good. www.litezupp.org.uk/about/4578949501

I'm in Maidenhead, Berkshire, so if you are not far away, then you can try them out if you want.

Best Bill

Doh! wish I had seen this just paid £8 each for them ! …..plus postage ……..fool and his money comes to mind

ATB Graham

Sidescreen rear bulbs are not vertical, they sit at around 30° to the vertical. I have yet to find the perfect LED bulb for these.

Bob.

My whole sidescreen sits 30 degrees to the vertical !

Hi Rob

I'm biased, as we sell them, but we do the right angle bulbs for side screen. Rear/stop and tail. Expensive, but they are good. www.litezupp.org.uk/about/4578949501

I'm in Maidenhead, Berkshire, so if you are not far away, then you can try them out if you want.

Best Bill

Hi Bill,that above Link don't seem to Work.
  • 2 months later...

After having spent the dark winter months driving about in the 3A with the old Lucas bulbs glimmering at the rear end, I decided it was time I finally got round to improving the lighting situation.

Gave the guys at LiteZupp a call. Got straight through to Phil (had a good long chat about sidescreen TRs), and purchased a pair of red right-angled stop/tail lights (L57RN).

Extremely prompt delivery - followed by a simple like-for-like swap of the Lucas 1157 bulbs.

Sorted, and very happy with the results! Many thanks again fellas, one more satisfied customer. :)

Cheers,

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

All,

I work in R&D for LED technology and must admit a conflict of interest in this recommendation, but I will make it anyway as I have a good personal experience!

You may not know it, but a proper 1156/1157 type filament lamp has the filament oriented to the bayonet...our lamp holders in the TR are designed so that the filament is oriented to maximise the light bouncing off the reflector..that makes the red lense illuminate evenly.

I recently discovered the US division of the company i work for makes these ZEVO brand replacement LED lamps:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEVO-RED-1157R-SUPER-BRIGHT-LED-LIGHTS-COMPATIBLE-WITH-2357-2057-BY-SYLVANIA-/322033830156?hash=item4afab6490c:g:dX8AAOSwzgRWt5wZ&vxp=mtr

I can tell you that these lamps use the same LED technology as used in the lamps of the latest production cars, with one or two LED chips you can create enough light for a brake light. In this product the LEDs point 'backwards' and because they are oriented to the bayonet and hence the reflector, your lenses are evenly illuminated with no dark or bright spots. They are also meeting the correct physical dimensions, so they emit the light at the 'focal point' as Triumph/Lucas intended. I have fitted them to a couple of old cars and am very pleased with the performance....car is safe to use in modern wet/dark conditions.

Seems like most of the sellers of them unfortunately wont ship to the UK.

Stuart.

As far as I know, none of the LED bulbs will make the driver aware that the has been a failure of the bulb, or a loss of connection in the feed to the bulb or in the return ("earth") path.

With the filament bulb, any such failure results in a much faster rate of flash, and the observant driver will know immediately that something is amiss.

I agree that well-designed and manufactured LED bulbs are much brighter, have a much longer life and are physically more robust, but drivers need to check that the trafficators really are operating correctly.

Ian Cornish

As far as I know, none of the LED bulbs will make the driver aware that the has been a failure of the bulb, or a loss of connection in the feed to the bulb or in the return ("earth") path.

With the filament bulb, any such failure results in a much faster rate of flash, and the observant driver will know immediately that something is amiss.

I agree that well-designed and manufactured LED bulbs are much brighter, have a much longer life and are physically more robust, but drivers need to check that the trafficators really are operating correctly.

Ian Cornish

Exactly what you should do on these cars everytime you take them out, doesnt take 30 secs. No bulb failure modules here.

Stuart.

Hi Ian,

I have made a magical box that the 'stop' lights go through.

If the bulb does no illuminate for any reason (no current flow) then I get a warning on the dash. Quite a simple circuit.

This could be done for any bulb.

However as the LED bulbs take so little current then that may make my circuit have to think a bit. But is possible.

How many warning lights do you want on the dash. :wacko::blink:

Roger