Wiper Wheel Box Mastic

When I stripped my TR down I found the wiper wheel box cover plates (See pictures) had mastic around them.

I guess this was a waterproof seal to stop water from around the wipers getting back in to the car.

I also found the same mastic on the heater hose plate that is also attached to the bulkhead.

My guess is, that this mastic was done during a previous restoration a long time ago?post-11421-0-43072200-1450384819_thumb.jpgpost-11421-0-34596200-1450384834_thumb.jpg

Was mastic used in the factory?

If so what mastic should I use now? A clear mastic might look better than the black treacle I found?

If it wasn't used, is it a good idea in this location?

It seems to make good sense to me to put the mastic in place?

Best.

Paul

yes its needed without doubt, a good silicone sealer would do, when ALL the old mastic is removed.

But others may suggest other types of water sealant. the old stuff was like window putty that never hardened on my car.

I guess this is the Indasa you mean?;_0

http://www.amazon.co.uk/INDASA-Windscreen-Sealant-310-Sunroof/dp/B006M11ZA0

Thanks for the advice.

Best

Paul.