Saw this in Classic Car Weekly today. Condition 2 TR4A went for just over £20k.

This must place condition 1 cars at around £28K plus?

A little cheer for Christmas!

post-11421-0-01687300-1450258289_thumb.jpg

Garage local to here has a sold one 4 at £28k and has another at £31k from memory. I looked at the £28k one and it was s a nice example, but certainly not perfect.

This is the £31k one they have for sale.

http://finance.autoexposure.co.uk/classicdd.cfm?Account=SHD8011135&VehicleID=AETV52801404&Image=http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/SHD8011135/AETV52801404_1a.jpg

I'd have thought they were overpriced, but they are selling cars so there seem to be buyers out there willing to pay for them.

People have, at present, money to burn as interest rates are low.

People perceive old cars as an investment and are prepared to pay over the top for what they think is a perfect example - ha ha ha :lol:

TR5 - ha ha ha :lol:

The cars are little used (to maintain their investment) so no benefit to the club.

Many do not join the club - so no benefit to the club

In the meantime they are being priced further away from the younger person - no benefit to the club.

There will be a big bang one day and the prices will collapse - tears all around.

Roger

Roger I think there's some truth in your comments, but from a TR owner who does use their car and throws money at it just because I like to improve things (in my eyes), there is plenty 'The Club' can do to make itself more attractive to youngsters.

I took my son along some years ago now to a local run and you'd think we we're aliens, tried again with my wife and never been back - unsubscribed from the e.mails and just hammer the old TR around because I like to.

I've probably got to the stage now where my car's value is probably about what I've spent on it over the years and especially given the recent new engine and other upgrades, but I don't really care. TR values are good news and if youngsters are the target then best tell the clubs!

..just my findings..

There are a lot of 25% Tax Free Pension Pots around at the moment looking for nice retirement toys, I think the XJS Convertible I just sold was so funded.

And as to investment value, even if there is a 20% crash at some point its going to look peanuts to the value that will be wiped off investment portfolios if we are stupid enough to vote to leave the EU. :-)

Perhaps so Roger - I tend to regularly frequent TRGB so with a regular Le Mans trip and a few other track days and thrashes out I get my fix. I'd dearly love to be able to get both my children (22 and 19) on my insurance as they love the TR and then I'd just let the youngsters (if they were ever available) off out on their own - they'd really love my new engine and servo brakes..

In Classic Car Weekly there's a 1973 TR6 CR for sale with 39,484 documented miles on it and priced at £28,000. CCW give it a good write up. The car is at The Motorfair Collection, Hadleigh.

Also in the classifieds there's another at TRGB, 1969 TR6 with extensive Restoration and triple Webbers for £24,995 .

Dave

Hopefully 3A's will start to increase in value faster than 4's (sadly not been happening of late) as I will be looking to shift my pension strategy (err I mean shift the pension money I spent on a car) in the next few years.

IMO, even as a sidescreen owner for almost thirty five years, the live-axle TR4/4A is one of the very best of all the TRs. Terrific Michelloti styling, mod cons like roll-up windows, and the simple durability of the wet-liner four and ladder frame.

I think they're a good investment -- better than TR2-3B.

I think prices are reflecting the real costs of bring our cars back to life.

I was talking the other day to the chap I bought my current project TR2 from. He bought it originally with a budget of 20k in mind but soon realised that would be nowhere near enough as he would be farming all the bodywork & paint out. He sold the project to me and bought an "older restoration" car for around his budget. It's a nice driveable car that looks good but for that price he has accepted a bit of a compromise I suppose. He now wants to improve it in as much that it was restored with a later TR3 wide mouth front apron, the later "raised hinge" boot lid and aftermarket seats.

I will do all the work myself on the project car but reckon purchase price and parts will come to 17k. The bodywork & paint I reckon to 13 weeks solid work +. If you put that out to a restorer who, say, charges £40 per hour then labour alone on just the body will come to almost 20k without parts so the car ends up costing 40k with you doing all the mechanical,chassis, trim refit etc.etc free.

Prices go up and down as do house prices but in the long term our cars only increase in value and by the time you take into account free road tax and cheap,agreed value insurance. they are an investment you can really enjoy as long as you are not out to make a fast buck.

Just look at Tobin's car on one of the other threads. Dread to think of the cost of that but what a fabulous car and what an effort.

All IMHO

Steve

Sorry

Meant Edwin Tiben's car

Edited by Stevecross

TR prices are well aft of Alfa spiders, Porsche 356 series :o and Austin Healeys to name a few. I think current TR prices are pretty safe for now ( though well below restoration costs, especially concourse ) and a good investment as far as toy cars are concerned <_<.

Patience is a virtue. A friend of mine who had a 1970 Porsche 911T for which he paid ~ $7000 circa 1989 and sold it circa 1992 for $8000 after sorting it a little now finds them worth $90,000. This he attributes to the community of modern Porsche owners who have discovered the joys of working on their cars ( fat chance of doing much on a modern example ) so have pushed up the prices tremendously.

A consensus appears to be forming that anything built less than ~ 30 years ago is pretty hopeless for restoration and owner servicing. The shrinking pool of older ones is driving up values at a pretty good clip.

TRIUMPH cast the die with their model choices which have helped keep a lid on values of the Michelotti cars: putting a 6-cylinder engine in it dampens the allure of the 4-cylinder versions ( among the illiterati, I might suggest ) and badging a TR250 differently from the TR5 depresses the value of the former. Nonetheless, I place my bet on them assuming their proper values first among the range ( just having an Italian wife doesn't make me biased - I loved them before I met her! ).

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont

Interesting subject. I am seriously considering putting my 4 on the market next year due to lack of use. Looking at the prices it looks good but obviously not what you might consider to be profit as the costs over the last 20 years updating, improving and restoring may be swallowed up, but at least may get something back. Cars of this marque need using and enjoying which is, unfortunately not something I am able to do.

Interesting subject. I am seriously considering putting my 4 on the market next year due to lack of use. Looking at the prices it looks good but obviously not what you might consider to be profit as the costs over the last 20 years updating, improving and restoring may be swallowed up, but at least may get something back. Cars of this marque need using and enjoying which is, unfortunately not something I am able to do.

If you don't actually need the money for anything particular I'd keep the car - it'll do better for you than cash unless you fancy the FTSE...

A firm has today sold my TR4, quite ordinary no O/D steel wheels, and Red, but a body off rebuild none the less.

They rate the 4 as "Better car" than a 4A, but not as good a seller, no chromey bits and not quite as comfy. My 4 has been in their showroom for a few months, and without doubt unpopular.

Condition is ALL, my last TR4 a black one I sold quickly for about £28K but it was a cracker, paint took months, and worth it, but I would say that.

I now have only one TR, a 7 its a 15K mile convertible LHD, and I have advertised that car for £3995, with no interest at all. I thought it was a bargain at the price, but the Market does rule.

Prices fluctuate and always will,years ago being offered £70K for my V12 E I didn't want to sell, a couple of years on and I sold it for just over £30K what goes around etc etc.

One example. My fully restored 4A cost me £12500 around 9 years ago. A totally well restored example by the previous owner with £25k of receipts that did not include any labour costs! About 3 years ago a well known classic car dealer offered me £25k without even opening the bonnet or starting the engine, let alone driving it! He obviously thought it looked good for that money. I refused the offer!

My opinion is that prices may drop a little @ some time but there is so much interest in classic cars these days (just go to a good event to see that, even village green gatherings!) that I think that enthusiasm will not wain yet.

You only need an increase of around 1.5% per year after your yearly costs for the 'investment' to be better than any ISA or c..p savings account! My 100% increase (less my minimal costs) in around 6 years looks pretty good to me and the enjoyment has been immense & incalculable!

Cheers & Happy Christmas to all.