TR6... Rear wings decal: "Union Jack" or "TR6"?

Ladies and Gents,

Here is a question....which decal is better on the rear wings: The "Union Jack" or the "TR6"?

In North America, the UJ is quite prevalent, but I see a lot of European model pictures where there is a simple TR6 decal. I'd be interested in hearing what every one thinks on either side of the Atlantic.

And just for fun, anyone care to add pictures to support their likes/dislikes?

Mine is a 76 Tahiti Blue and currently I have the UJ, but I'm considering replacing it with silver TR6.

(Ps: once I figure how to attach pics, I'll post my rear wing...the bumper will be missing as I took it off to remove the ugly rubber bumpers!)

Cheers,

-Ali

Edited by Alibs555

Good question Ali!

Presently I have neither.....

Where are these available from , I'm guessing moss etc do them?

Steve,

I have sourced them on eBay ...they hover around US$24.00 plus shipping.

But I can imagine Moss would have them also.

Have you always had no decals on your TR?

Hi Ali,

As far as I am aware, the European TR6's (generally with Pi) had the TR6 emblem, the cars destined for USA and Canada had Union jacks.

Austin

This is how I also understand it.

Think at the time the fact that they were 'British' sports cars and not just sports cars somehow helped sales, so they probably wanted to remind potential buyers of the fact. If you fit the 'TR6' letters - which wouldn't be right - you need to work out the colour! Later TR6s also had a small British Leyland badge on the front wings?

Hi Austin,

You are absolutely correct. My carbed 76 TR6 has the UJ. The 74 on also have the rubber overrider bumper...which I don't like. So I removed them...now my thoughts are do I try to make mine look European by replacing the UJ with the TR6?

Just wondering what the thoughts are out there...

Do you have a preference?

Hi Harvey,

Yes, the appeal of everything British in the late 70's must have had an impact in the marketing of the TR6.

I know that the Tahiti Blue had the Silver lettering in Europe. So I should be ok with being colour correct.

Yes, the BL badge was only placed on the driver side. Not sure why not on the passenger side...

Hi Kevo,

I like your "wind breaker" behind the seats. May I ask where you sourced it? Is it removable?

The lettering does look more business like... :-)

Hi Kevo,

I like your "wind breaker" behind the seats. May I ask where you sourced it? Is it removable?

The lettering does look more business like... :-)

Hi Ali, I got it from here http://www.breezebreaker.co.uk/BreezeTR6%20phtos.htm and yes its removable. Since the photo I have made and fitted a led 3rd brake light to it.

For the US cars at least, the TR6 decal was fitted up to 1972, when it was replaced with the union jack. Personally, I prefer the TR6 decal.

Berry

That's my understanding as well. Union Jack for the "CF" carb cars from mid 72 & PI cars had the TR6 decal throughout (white for most, black for yellow cars & red for white).

Also a personal vote for the TR6 decal. Not a fan of the UJ

My 74 TR6 originally had the flag decals and I took them off and replaced them with the original TR6 decals. I found the Union Jack decals tacky and gaudy, one of many crappy mods that were made to the TR6 for the American market, some required due to federal requirements and some done because of cost, laziness or lack of taste.

Stan

Hmmm....so far it is hands down a "TR6" crowd!

Stan, I see you took your overrider bumpers off also. Am I correct? And you've put on the lettering instead of the UJ.

That's what I'm thinking to do also.

I bought my TR6 in 1981 the car had never been modified the car is a UK car it had Union Jack decal on it then, the car was Mallard Blue ,as for the UJ flag Decal being fitted to over seas cars only I think it was once mentioned then it became a common misconception.

I must say I like flying the flag

Cheers Gordon

Good looking TR, Gordon.

Strange that a UK car would have the UJ. It must have been copied from the North American models when it was repainted with the colour change.

Does anyone worry about originality of their car? Is it so bad that I have a Canadian TR, that is supposed to have the overrider bumper, but have removed them ?

Was there a life of mods done, that were era correct?

When my race Vitesse had the 2.5 TR6 engine, because it was in British Racing Green, it made me think of the 1920s racing Bentleys.

I know, presumptuous lese majeste, but I put a Union Flag on the side in memory.

IMHO, it looks better than with the "TR6" splitting it up.

Here it is at Blyton Park earlier this year

John

post-535-0-61193800-1449045246_thumb.jpg

Does anyone worry about originality of their car? Is it so bad that I have a Canadian TR, that is supposed to have the overrider bumper, but have removed them ?

I do, on both my TR; although TuRK is a bitsa in some areas..............

But it's your TR6, so do whatever you wish.

Cheers

Andrew

Hmmm....so far it is hands down a "TR6" crowd!

Stan, I see you took your overrider bumpers off also. Am I correct? And you've put on the lettering instead of the UJ.

That's what I'm thinking to do also.

Yes, the bumperettes are ugly, ruin the look of the TR6 and are a PITA because I would bang my knee on them when walking around the car in the garage. I also replaced the plastic scuttle vent grill with the original metal flap and seal to keep the water out. All reversible mods.

Stan

Interesting perspectives from everyone :-)

I'm leaning towards removing the UJ. Maybe I'll leave it blank for now, then warm up to the idea of the lettering.

Stan, I like the metal flap mod. Where did you source that from? Was it easy to do?