Regarding the wheel sizes, Gatso always insisted (personally to me, and often to other people) that they were 16in., but other factions usually denied this. Gatso's reasoning was that there was a better type of 16in. racing tyre available - and in any case he wanted to see the car have higher gearing.

60 or even 72 spoke wheels ? Yes, definitely, but I can't recall which ....

Hon. Pres.

Hi Graham,

I had the good fortune to meet Gatso a couple of times in the late 70s, Rob Slotemaker had introduced me - a most entertaining gentleman was Maus, and a convivial host. By my recollection, those wires were indeed 16" x 4.5" and of 60 spoke construction. As I understood the explanation, what really mattered to keep within the regulations was the tyre width rather than the wheel width, and the extra half inch of rim enabled the tyre (as in sidewall) to perform better, which is entirely understandable. Plus 4" rims were of only 48-spokes, whereas 4.5" were of 60-spoke construction, and hence much stronger. However, wheel diameter was required to be standard, and as Maus explained he regarded the TR as a Sports Vanguard . . . . the latter boasting 16" wheels, of course. A fine distinction perhaps, and supposedly not one which found favour at Standard Triumph . . . . regardless of the fact that Maus could silver tongue the scrutineers.

The tyres were evidently Humperdincks . . . . as I wrote in my notebook at the time. The two Dutchmen managed to retain straight faces until yours truly had noted this fact, then they fell about in raucous laughter. Yours truly was consigned, shamefaced, to the bar to buy a round - penalty for having taken hook, line and sinker. Maus in fact referred to Englebert tyres, which were he assured me both high in roadholding ability and in strength, as in withstanding the dreadful Italian roads of the time - and available in 16" but not 15" sizes.

OK, that was nearly 25 years after the event, so recall by Maus may not have been perfect, but that's what I noted at the time.

Cheers

Alec