Are these rear lights originals

To any member here that can tell me if these lights are original items- the seller is saying they were purchased a few years ago but to be honest im not sure,the lenses have the lucas name but it say's oxo on side of buses ???????????????

i might go and view should i be looking for anything obvious.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272047368140?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The difference being the ebay ones have the correct Lucas marked lenses and more relevant the wiring will be coded the right way.

Stuart.

Hi,

I have just noted this posting and can confirm that these lamps were manufactured by Lucas in 1985.

Note that both lamps have a small white label stuck to the back of the lamp bodies - 4185.

This is how Lucas recorded the period of manufacture - the 41st week of 1985.

I have a NOS boxed TR4 rear lamp, the box is dated 1980 and the lamp unit has the same small label 1880 - thus it was manufactured during the 18th week of 1980.

This lamp unit also has the same wiring and gaskets as the two you are considering.

If both lamp bodies are clean, with no corrosion craters I think they are a good buy at that price.

Don't forget they also have the genuine lenses......!!!!

Regards, Richard

A huge thanks to all i must admit any original lamps i have looked at have had one piece gaskets (could be internal gasket)and i thought the actual sides to these lamps looked quite thin but i think Richard has cleared any doubt with the dating number (same as tyre dating) just got to raid piggy bank now.

Martin.

If the seller bought them in 1978 why have they got 1985 stickers !!

Roger

he probably meant 1987 ;-) Anyway, it looks like the "4185" batch is all over the net with those surprisingly immaculate tags...

Edited by Geko

The ones in Geko's link are repro. The wire is Asian not UK. The originals had mounting studs in the holes.

The lens may be UK. Can't tell in the photo.

These are Lucas lens:

8598796170_aed310ed36_k.jpg[/url]

Except those are TR5 lenses not TR4/4A.

Stuart.

he probably meant 1987 ;-) Anyway, it looks like the "4185" batch is all over the net with those surprisingly immaculate tags...

They are the all red US versions anyway.

Stuart.

Well I never knew that. Bought 'em years back.

Must be worth a bit I suppose. But they will do for me. I've got repro ones. They lack a bit of finish.

Whats the difference Stuart?

The bodies are Moss repro and they are very good and the lens fit perfectly.

Edited by AlanT

Must be worth a bit I suppose. But they will do for me. I've got repro ones. They lack a bit of finish.

The circular centre sections are more see through than the earlier versions. FWIW for a brief period you could get the TR5 type lenses as repros from Australia

Stuart.

The bodies are Moss repro and they are very good and the lens fit perfectly.

Explanation about the difference between L 699 and L 799 http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/32511-rear-lampstr45/