Battery type, model

Chris

Hi

Make sure the cold crank amperage (CCA) is adequate.

When I asked a battery question here a year or so ago, the very sound advice was; CCA over everything expect fit.

In excess of 550 CCA was the advice, if my memory serves

Got a 620 CCA 072 size battery off t'internet

Edited by wjgco

+1 for Tayna as a company.

I have had a few batteries from them for various cars. Really good service and price. Also possible to find discount code. I have used D2BOYS twice before which has generated another 5% discount.

Good luck

Paul

All

Bought my battery from Tayna

11 months later it just died on me, 60 miles from home!

Luckily, I was within 10 miles of Manver Triumph, so cadged a push start and left the car with Clive.

He fitted a new battery, having checked the complete charging system and declared it sound.

He checked the battery and suggested I send it back to the supplier.

Long story short;

Tayna wanted to refund me 13 months warranty, pro rata, they said;

"By your own admission, the battery has worked well for 11 months, so, we will only refund for the remaining period of the 24 month warranty"

I explained that the battery was not fit for purpose, as I believe that 4 years is a reasonable service life for said capacitor.

As I had little choice, I returned the battery to Tayna, and sent an email expressing concern regarding their honesty and my doubts about the outcome.

They agreed that the battery was defective and asked how I wanted the 13 months pro rata refund.

At this point, I warned them that the next communication from me would be a summons from the small claims court, which would include; cost of the battery, cost of the claim, Manvers costs, plus the cost of my time.

They refunded in full by return!

Tayna are low cost, but, there is a price to pay for the lower price.

I will not use them again

Look for Optima, they are different principle,

especially made for machines that rest for a

longer time, are diesel and have to start after that

reliable. That is similar to what we will need!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMA-BRAND-NEW-RED-TOP-BATTERY-TOP-AND-SIDE-TERMINALS-DA1021-/331256257545?hash=item4d20695c09:g:Z4wAAOSwwNVTu8yl

(Only as example, maybe different size required)

Anyway these batteries can be used with less capacity on out TRs.

They have brilliant power at cold start, engine wants to jump out

of the engine compartment and last longer than "normal" ones.

Optima are the other end of the spectrum to Tayna

There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price alone are that persons lawful prey.

It is unwise to pay too much, but, it is worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money, but that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run and, if you do this, you will have enough money to pay for something better.

John Ruskin

b 1819

d 1900

I should have listened to Ruskin!

Edited by wjgco

With batteries you only get what you pay for! I agree with Graeme, I bought a Halfords HB072 it lasted 7 years and died on me just as I was going on a long TR Trip. So I had to nip

down to my local Halfords to buy to buy another HB072 but they were out of stock! So I had to buy the calcium version at £20 more in price! But I have to say that this type of battery seems to hold its charge much longer than the standard lead acid type. Also when re-charged from by battery charger its fully charged in a very short time. Its now 3 years old so we

will have to see how long it lasts.

Bruce.

It's not always obvious to find a battery with the poles on the correct side as the HB072,

If you have a battery tray in your TR you probably will have to file slots in the front and rear bottom extensions, if not the battery will float in the tray.

I recently bought a new battery from NordAuto ( nr19 ) it has the poles at the correct side and lowered and fitted with covers, the same as the Yuasa 57219 in my other TR,

But as my cars are not driven often enough the never last longer than 5 years. :( :(

In some cases on a TR6 it might be difficult to connect the earth cable while the neg. pole is at the rear against the firewall.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bosch on mine, seems OK, it was on the car when I bought it from a chap who owned a garage car repair business a couple of years ago ,still looks like new

,in fact if I look in the file I can look up exact date.

• 2 months later...

Battery packed up this week after nearly 15 years of being in the TR6, after looking at this post I too tried Tayna @ https://www.tayna.co.uk/072-Car-Batteries-G23.html and used code D2BOYS as Paul - ptjs1 , thanks Paul, I too got 5% discount. A brilliant service, a good price and received battery next day.

Vince.