Carburetconundrum update........ 'ashes to ashes'

Well the beast is alive.

Took ages to 'fire' (if only i had known!) up....until i turned the jet to 11 flats down (could be old fuel - it is after all 15 weeks old !!!)

Kept starting, but dying at anything below 2,000 rpm, but eventuaually managed to tick over when warmed up.

Sounded a tad rough (always has) and was still smokey (if only i had known).

Took it out for a run, lots of coughing under load and backfiring........but only managed 1 1/2 miles before the fire started ????

Fortunately not fuel related, but exhaust wrap that I had put on in an attempt to temporarily seal the open 'back to front' collector.

Despite having been heat hardened last weekend, the heat at the bottom of the extractors was too much for it after just a mile and a half.

BEWARE NIGRIN 74071 (it might say on the tin 'auspuff and 500 degrees' but it appears to be easily capable of combusting !)

Fortunately, it would appear that heavy smoke billowing from a car isn't that unusual in Downham, so nobody stopped to get in my way?

Luckily the wifey was following in the support vehicle.

Put out quickly - crawled back at 1200 rpm

Offending wrap now cut / chipped off.

This friggin exhaust has taken on and fried to a crisp: standard exhaust paste, proper manifold wrap, jb weld high heat putty, and now germany's best !

What next !

It seems that a phoenix (exhaust) rising from the ashes is quite apt !

If you hear about another fire at the Cutty Sark next friday, not to worry, it'll only be me !

Engine bay now cleaned, but the carpets reek reyt rotten !

http://youtu.be/qf69yWy1J2g

Blimey McMutt it never rains but it pours it seems in your World!! - perhaps an inappropriate comparison considering that water might have helped in your case!

my sympathies! (and note to Self - get someone else to fettle my carbs!)

Austin, I'd check the spark timing and compressions. The intermittent 'hollow' exhaust sounds at tickover maybe the same cylinder(s) backfiring in the exhaust under load. Peter

Did you get the pm I sent about valve setting, Austin?

I always had the idea Olde Smokey was puffing out black smoke, from an over-rich mixture. I'm not crazy about the white smoke in your video. Was the engine warm when that was taken?

Does the car consume coolant, or oil?

No amount of ale (or shampoo) is washing away the acrid taste of exhaust fumes and burning german stuff that is still stuck in mi nose n throat ! :wacko::huh::blink:

No noticeable oil loss - small drip from the front oil rad and splutters out of the rear exhaust.

Coolant drops slowly but not dramatically. I suppose it could be topping the oil up - but no obvious signs.

I did wonder whether, with the steamy crank case breather, were the piston rings are on their last legs? :(

When tested earlier this year, compression was OK, not brilliant, but relatively even.

I assume that having done just about everything else on the car that isn't in the engine bay - she is now telling me that the engine needs doing.

I guess whilst the carbs are out and the exhaust is out the engine might as well be done now :angry:

I need to remortgage anyway ! :o

Austin, OK its not compressions etc.

Set the spark timing by slowly turning the disy to and fro a few mm to get the fastest tickover ( but keep tt below 800rpm as the centrifugal kicks in about there I think). The book setting 4 BTDC might not be right for your engine, especially if the disy has been reworked to give a more conventional static and c/fugal curve.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

...Coolant drops slowly but not dramatically...

I don't like white smoke coming from a warmed-up car's tailpipe. I don't like coolant levels dropping without an obvious cause.

That isn't Triumph experience, thankfully -- it's Saab experience. And it can -- assuming one's toast falls buttered-side down -- mean the head gasket is leaking. There are simple tests for exhaust gasses in the coolant system. I wouldn't hurry to put an engine rebuild on the schedule, but I'd stay with this until you feel good about root causes.