Unless you are prepared to get a replacement speedo recalibrated, you need to specify the revolutions/mile marked on your old speedo (written beneath the odometer - the figure will be around 1100), or your axle ratio and the tyres you are using. The tyre size is not so critical, by the way.

Section J7 of the Technicalities CD provides more detail.

A speedo from a TR4 or TR4A will suffice, but some people are particular about flat or convex glass to the instrument.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Ian, usefull information,

do you know if a replacement convex glass will fit a flat-glass speedo?

The one currectly for sale has 1152.

Any speedo however inaccurate is better than none, I can use my satnav to view actual speeds.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater

HI Mike,

Early TR4 gauges have the same convex glass as the sidescreen cars. But replacing the flat glass with convex is no big issue. removing the chrome rim can be a bit difficult due to old rubber gone dry.

The biggest difference is the body at the back. the early ones are deeper than the tr4 ones.

I have had a tr4 one in my tr2 for a while but because of originallity i have refurbished my own.

...and although it only matters to those really serious about originality, the early speedometer dials are marked in M.P.H. and the later ones MPH.

Hi don, correct. More little details on the facia print differ, orange/red markings For example ;)

You know of course that Cars with correct one drive faster ...

Yes, they do, Edwin!

TS2797LO, an unrestored long door. Click to enlarge.

i-QWkHVFt.jpg

And the one on my very late car, TSF202L, April 1962.

i-p7nSx8S.jpg