I need to fit a new duplex timing chain on my TR6.

The one sold by a leading parts supplier is made in India. I'm undecided whether to go ahead and fit it, or source a UK or German made replacement. Any experience or views from the forum experts on the quality Indian timing chains?

Nigel

For a competition engine my choice is to buy the best I can get, the cost difference between £10 and £30 compaired to the cost of an engine failure is negligable. However I only do it out of fear not experience.

Its the Timing Chain tensioner quality you need to be worried about these days, they are virtually all ****. Some suppliers are honest enough to tell you they are **** but its all they can get, others sell the same **** item and say they are good.

If anyone knows a source of "good" ones please PM me, I'm about to pull and strip the engine again and I'll bet the new one that I put in last winter (that won't have done a 1000 miles) will need replacing (just like the one the year before). If it doesn't I'm going to buy half a dozen from the same guy again!

Alan

Hi Alan,

your tensioner is interesting.

I have just taken the tensioner out of my 4A.

Installed in 1998 and done in excess of 170,000 miles

There is a small amount of wear - possibly 1/4 of its thickness. I'm tempted to put it back in.

Roger

For a competition engine my choice is to buy the best I can get, the cost difference between £10 and £30 compaired to the cost of an engine failure is negligable. However I only do it out of fear not experience.

Its the Timing Chain tensioner quality you need to be worried about these days, they are virtually all ****. Some suppliers are honest enough to tell you they are **** but its all they can get, others sell the same **** item and say they are good.

If anyone knows a source of "good" ones please PM me, I'm about to pull and strip the engine again and I'll bet the new one that I put in last winter (that won't have done a 1000 miles) will need replacing (just like the one the year before). If it doesn't I'm going to buy half a dozen from the same guy again!

Alan

Just came across this problem with tensioners myself. Surely one of our suppliers can source a decent supply.

I just pulled this one out. Not entirely sure when I put in but probabaly less than 20,000 miles.

Jerry

post-2515-0-78984900-1448100437_thumb.jpg

Installed in 1998 and done in excess of 170,000 miles

The problem may not be tensioner related but chain related.

There are two items involved if one of them fails!

Besides that a good chain does not stretch that much and in

a TR 3-6 does not need a tensioner I would recommend to

feel with the fingers along a Chinese or Indian chain and a

quality product.

The quality products have items that come out of a machine

that smoothes the edges (in German "Gleitschleifen")

and from that do not cut into the tensioner like a jigsaw.

Like I told above: Take the IWIS and forget about all the rest.

A couple of possibles:

http://www.renold.in/Products/TransmissionChainSprockets/TransmissionChainIndexPage.asp

or the US company

http://www.diamondchain.co.uk/our-company.php

As for tensioners - Talk with Racetorations I had a long chat about this and other subjects with them at IWE and they have a solution.

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/search/tensioner

Original 4 cyl tensioners were spring steel that was hard chrome plated, todays repro items seem to be only spring steel. What you are seeking is something that is spring steel and has an anti wear coating.

Cheers

Peter W

PS I have said this before - has anyone tried a couple of these spring steel and plastic things from the last knockings Mini A+ series engine?

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/12G2621.aspx

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Interesting feedback - thank you.

The Indian chain I've purchased is not Renolds, who have an excellent reputation for motorcycle chains. Transmitting the power of a bike engine whilst covered in road dirt is surely more demanding than the life a a timing chain, sheltered inside a casing with plenty of oil.

I've examined the Indian replacement chain and there is indeed a little roughness on the edges of some links; it seems likely this could hasten wear to the tensioner blade. I will look for a better quality chain, Renolds or similar.

Nigel

There was someone on eBay selling NOS Renolds TR chains recently. I bought one for about £30 including postage and it arrived during the week. Suitably grease encrusted in an old poly bag and when I examined it it was stamped "made in England" on every other link, so it looks like it may be genuine.

Now all I have to do is dismantle the front of the car to fit it.

Rgds Ian

I have just checked and they are still on offer.

And I have just checked again and there is now only one left.

Edited by Ian Vincent

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-V8-253-308-304-EFI-5-0L-TIMING-CHAIN-IWIS-GERMAN-SUIT-ROLLMASTER-3DR62-2-/181882609387?hash=item2a590c5eeb:g:x6kAAOSw37tWA2HP

This is the chain - part number etc - marketed for Holdens over here. They are a beautiful finish. Personally I wouldn't use anything else and I tend to use SH original tensioner sunless I find NOS

• 2 months later...

Thought it was worth updating this thread from last year - having just dismantled the engine and found the tensioner badly scored after 10K with a new chain fitted (unknown make but from a main supplier) I decided to contact the Chain man as recommended above - had a long chat with him Thursday and today took receipt of an Iwis chain which is noticeably different in quality when you run your fingers over the surface, just over £25 inc the postage & pay after delivery - an excellent bit of service in this day & age and well recommended.

BMW N47 engines suffer from timing chain problems. The new replacement chains now supplied seem to have burnished edges on the links where they would bear against the tensioner.

How do I know........ask my wallet :-(