Stuck rear brake

I'd appreciate some advice on my rear brakes.

A few weeks ago I took the TR6 out, only to find it would it would hardly go. It turned out that the right rear brake had stuck on. I took the drum off, made sure everything inside was OK and moving, put it back together, and all was well.

Today, the same thing happened. So the MOT is postponed.

Is there something I should lubricate in the brake area to stop this happening - or could it be a more complicated thing to fix? I am thinking it could be the hydraulic cylinder that needs replacing.

Any advice would be welcome!

Geoff

Geoff, Its important that the cylinder can slide to and fro on the backplate. They often sieze. Check with handbrake off. Cure with plugas to free off: needs vigorous push/pulling. Then I use waxoyl/molygrease mix to stop it siezing again. Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Geoff, also you didnt mention the brake adjuster, this could be seized also .and needs freeing and adjusting.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Geoff, if you haven't solved it yet, it could be what happened to mine a while back. It turned out to be the flexible pipes between the rigid pipes and the brakes that were collapsing and preventing the fluid from returning after an application.

Cheers

Allan

Thanks for your suggestion Allan. I've had this happen on another car. I thought it wouldn't apply here, as the brake stuck in the garage, not while driving.

Geoff

garaged with handbrake off?

Garaged with handbrake on, Peter. Out of habit, as the floor is level!

Barry, yes I still have the Westfield. It's actually running quite well at the moment, but it won't get used much over the winter - no roof or heater!

Geoff

Usually a sign of a corroded wheel cylinder. You'll probably find the piston is not able to return. A good clean and a new seal will probably fix, or a new cylinder.

Jerry

Same here no roof and no heater either. Have to admit I have not driven mine this year since buying the TR6. More down to time than anything else. Would be interesting to know how many TR owners have westfields or 7,'s as they are so far apart or maybe not

Barry

Garaged with handbrake on, Peter. Out of habit, as the floor is level!

Barry, yes I still have the Westfield. It's actually running quite well at the moment, but it won't get used much over the winter - no roof or heater!

Geoff

Geoff, Try leaving the handbrake off- I always do. Peter

Well, I decided to fit a new cylinder. I fetched it from Moss this morning, and it's installed now. Both foot and hand brakes work, so that's positive! The handbrake is off, so I'll give it a try tomorrow. If it's OK, then the MOT on Monday, it the weather is OK.

Thanks for all your advice.

Geoff