In anticipation that those skanky mongrel carbs will go off for a rebuild (replacement), I have been writing my list to Santa.

A phoenix exhaust to replace the beastly unsealed rally system is top of the list, as, with the carbs gone, the timing is opportune.

This also seems like one job I could actually do myself without making everything worse - as is usually the case :blink:

I have read the various threads about one v two box systems. My view is that with the hard top on much of the time, the existing system is way too loud (resonates in the cabin) and I am tempted by twin box behind the sports manifold.

Is there any reason not to do this, e.g., are twin box systems not really that much quieter (awful sentence construction I know) - are they difficult to fit under there - or does a narrower bore behind a sports manifold bugger things up in terms of gas flow?

Also, I have read that sometimes the manifold requires some 'fettling' to fit. What sort of fettling is this, angle grinding the face flat or something equally complex?

Finally, is it possible to angle the exhaust route at the rear of the car towards the side rather than centre (where mine currently is) to avoid a possible future towbar.

(As a reminder, my existing manifold has four extractor pipes that are loose at the bottom end and sit in a collector connected to the central tube and despite being wrapped - still fill the cockpit with exhaust gases at anything other than law breaking speed. I asked a local exhaust centre if they could fabricate a collector to the existing extractor, however, there're were too many 'buts' after the 'probably' and 'it'll look a pig' sir' !)

Austin.

I have the SS Phoenix sports manifold on my '3, High port head. only fettling required was to grind a little metal from the top (cylinder head end) flange where the inlet manifold sits - 2 min job. I am using it with a "Standard SS exhaust - two boxes, & a link pipe to join manifold to 1st box. All from the TR shop, all fitted easily, & car is not noisy. My nearby fellow member (Mike) to whose car we have just installed a reconditioned TR2 engine, has gone for the Phoenix Low port head version, which did give us problems in that when fitted the outer front pipe was touching the steering column. We have now rectified this using a blowtorch, a short length of scaffold tube, & a club hammer ! (off the car of course) he has the "Big bore SS system with only one box, it is definately noisier - but he likes it that way. Again all from the TR shop.

As far as I could see, the only "Big Bore" about it was the short tail pipe.

Bob.

Austin,

I have a Phoenix extractor fitted to a high port head and using the same inlet manifold as you are. It all fitted straight out of the box, the only issue was that the flanges that bolt up to the head on the Phoenix manifold are thinner than those on the original cast item and more importantly, thinner than the inlet manifold. This means that the little clamping items that hold both manifolds against the head don't work properly and you need to either introduce a loose packer about 1/8" thick or do what I did and weld a packer to the exhaust manifold to bring it up to the same thickness as the inlet.

Yes they do seem to need wrapping, or mine does, because it gets very hot.

I have a heat shield on the alternator made from two layers of aluminium with an air gap of approximately 1/8" - created by using spacer washers between the two layers. Happy to post a picture if it would help.

Rgds Ian

Are you all using "Short starter motors" or "HIgh Torque" or is there an extractor that will fit the Bomb type starter motor, I have the later but am thing about a new manifold, but don't want to go too far of originality. SAH must have fitted back in the day I guess?

Iain

Here are a couple of observations from fitting new exhausts on 6-cylinder cars.

I have a Phoenix 6-3-1 on my TR6 with a single transverse silencer under the boot floor, same shape as the original. It fitted easily enough, though a tiny bit of filing around the manifold mounting studs was needed. When brand new the silencer gave (to my ear), a nicely muted yet sporty note. After a couple of thousand miles it started to get louder. 10,000 miles on, it's settled down but really is louder than I expected, borderline irritating on long runs.

On my GT6 I have a semi-sports system from Bells.I ran it first with a single box at the back, and the exhaust note was fairly loud with a pronounced rasp. Later I fitted a small centre box, and now with two silencers, the rasp has gone, leaving a sporty exhaust note which isn't loud enough to irritate on a long run.

If you have the choice of one or two boxes in the system, I would advise two for the sake of long-term peace and quiet. Or maybe I'm getting more critical with age!

Nigel

Are you all using "Short starter motors" or "HIgh Torque" or is there an extractor that will fit the Bomb type starter motor, I have the later but am thing about a new manifold, but don't want to go too far of originality. SAH must have fitted back in the day I guess?

Iain

Same as me, I chose to change my starter motor for a modern geared one (9 tooth from the TR shop) I believe there are three Phoenix manifolds to choose from:

High port needs short starter

High port will accommodate bomb starter

Low port will accommodate bomb starter.

The last one is what I was referring to in my post above, it did not fit, & had to be "adjusted" The same may apply to the middle one. The top choice (which I have) fitted fine.

I also would opt for two silencers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Iain

I am using a short high torque starter and the appropriate manifold

Rgds Ian

• 4 years later...