Faulty Rheostat

Returning home after Colin Boother's wake, it was dark, so lights on, fine - but no panel lights or cigar lighter illumination, sidelights etc OK, checked wiring diagram and given previous experiences the suspect is the rheostat. Rotated several times to find some contact point but to no avail....

Happy to bypass the duff rheostat, but does anyone know if there any modern alternatives available that can be used to replace this archaic and unreliable design? I was not unhappy with original panel illumination levels when it worked.

Replacements seem pretty pricey for what they are and the effect they have.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

- and there I was blaming the rheostat when it was the master light switch that had failed - I can tell you its easier and quicker changing the light switch than extracting the rheostat!

That's the second time a master light switch has failed on me, first time was a total failure, no lights at all, in the middle of the night mid Wales on RBRR - scary!

I understand now why Lucas gained its nickname..............

Ian

Sounds like you need relays in the lamp circuits if there are were none there from standard.

All the power for the headlamps going through the switch will probably fry it. - It does on the earlier TR models.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Poor old Joe gets such a bad press...when I working in a Triumph Motorcycle Dealership..oh ..about 5 years ago a guy came in with a Rectifier which had failed..Bl**dy Joe Lucas...prince of Darkness... have you got a replacement but I don't want Lucas SH*TE....No problem I advised that I had a fine Chinese replica for £10 or indeed a Lucas original for £24.95 he proffered a tenner..

I looked at the old dysfunctional Rectifier and asked what his machine was, 1971 T120V mate, he opined..

You do realise...I offered.. that this is the original rectifier as fitted to the bike when it was made..serial number and date of manufacture clearly marked...so...I continued this piece of Lucas SH*TE has worked perfectly for 40 years or so, perhaps its not such a piece of rubbish as you suggest? He looked thoughtfully and donated another £15.00...Just an aside that maybe not ALL Lucas products were as bad as portrayed.

Bonnetiler