Complete respray

Hi All,

Right my body off resto is ready for respray, what do you think the average cost should be ?

All the rusty parts are gone, I am going to grit blast the surface rust with silver sand, so just need etch priming, contouring around the rear scuttle, seam sealing, sound deadening, soft two pack under sealing, and then finishing that includes all the wings boot lid, bonnet etc.

Had 1 quote off £5000, I thought £2500 to £3000 would be nearer ???

Nigel

Nigel,

The quote of £5000 is nearer the mark, prepare for it to be higher........ Bearing in mind the cost of paint & materials will be over £1000.......

Tom

I'm shocked at those prices! My Celly respray back in 1988 I thought was high at £1,275.00 back then...5k or more is crazy for such a small car that doesn't even have tops to it's doors or a roof!

BL never intended these cars to have a Rolls Royce finish!

An 'Orange Peel' effect, just as it came out the Spraygun is all that is needed...not all this perfect body gap and hand flatted coat after coat concours nonsense!

And most modern paintshops get don't do all the black areas (behind the grill etc) correctly anyway!

Have to agree with Tom its a £5K job all day and any day. To have a respray done in 1988 for £1,250 probably equates to that figure nowadays anyway. Don't scrimp on the prep and paint 'cos if you do you end up paying decent money for a mediocre finish. Far better to pay good money for a top notch finish, bite the bullet and let the experts do it for you.

Alan

You can easily pay £10k + for the correct job................

Can't put a price on quality ????????????

Sorry guys, if you think £5k to £10k is reasonable for a re-paint I suggest you are allowing yourselves to be ripped off. As with most things related to 'classic cars', cost is often confused with quality.

The last car I had painted (2012) was a SAAB 900 which is a lot bigger than any TR . This was a bare metal re-spray, colour change inside and out. It was primed and flatted 3 times to my knowledge and finished in metallic grey 2 pack. The price was £2500 and also included media blast of the engine bay, removal and refitting the glass (including a brand new windscreen), some cosmetic welding to get rid of trim holes I didn't want and transport to and from my workshop.

Maybe I don't have high enough standards but I can't fault the finish and neither has anyone at the last two National shows I've been to.

From experience the cost of a respray is one of those things that varies wildly. Had a spitfire baremetal done 10 years and cost £800, midget bare metal with me stripping a prepin 3 years ago same price. Mind you agree that getting them to do filling is probably the way to go for really good results. Then got quote recently for my TR from a reputable local body shop who has done a number of TRs.. He quoted £1500, for a 2K job with no prep work and £3500 for a full clear coat with significant prep work.

So quite a range.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Guy's thanks for all your input, I've had the following price from Enviro-Strip (UK) Ltd:

Good Morning Nigel,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The following costs will apply;

Paint Strip & De Rust - £895

2PK Etch Primer Coating - £495

Delivery & Collection - £385

All prices exclude VAT.

If you require any further information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Enviro – Strip (UK) Ltd

Craig Duncan

Operations Manager

Mail To: cd@envirostripukltd.com

Tel: 01827 284333

Mob: 07817 826 186

Web Site: www.envirostripukltd.com

Address: Units 4,9/12A. Hedging Lane Ind Estate, Wilnecote, Tamworth, B77 5HH

Which as a start I am going for, then look around for a good finisher.

Nigel

5k is nearer the mark.My bare metalled TR5 was picked up and entrusted to a local Aston Martin dealers for a body off respray.Stone chipped underneath

then in body colour.Metal work repairs to the bonnet.Panels painted off the car and then assembled on to the car and final finish.Car delivered back to me for fitting up.This was twelve years ago. 6k plus Vat. The reason I went back there,the owner at the time did me a good deal on painting panels on my then previousTR6 as I had messed up painting with Sikkens non isonyates which left it a bit soft and I put too much on. That was in 1990 and the work was superb.

My latest TR5 was done to the( 10 months ago) same high standard and price goes upwards off course. A litre of two pack is around £80 plus vat or more now.This was done by a different outfit this time and the result was superb. Big smile every time I open the garage.

It is all in the preparation that takes time and you have to pay for the highly skilled people who know what they are doing.

I can and have done all the work myself but final painting and finish I leave to the experts.

Regards Harry

I'm painting the car myself, and will probably have close to US$1000 just in materials by the time i'm finished. But the real issue is that the process is insanely labor intensive if done properly. Likely over half the cost is just in prep work.

Ed

As in many areas of classic car ownership, gullible owners are easily taken for a ride.

It is quite possible to repaint a TR6 to a standard appropriate for the kind of cars these are for £1600. To achieve that, the car needs to be delivered to the painters fully stripped and prepared requiring little preparation.

The reality is that shells are rarely owner prepared to such a standard and the body shop monkey has to extra hours elbow greasing the shell to shape.

Labour should be around £50/hour so if materials are £800 then even if they spend 40 hours that equates to £2800 plus VAT. Any more and you either have a very rough shell or a wealthy paint monkey.

Ripped off???

Gullible????

Sorry but if you think it only takes 40 hours to prep and paint a car you are sadly mistaken....

Just to lay the paint correctly takes 40 + hours......

You would be looking roughly 200 + hours to prepare and paint a bodyshell of a TR.

Usually works out what hours you can actually book to the job the labour rate comes in a hell of a lot less than £50.......

Tom

As in many areas of classic car ownership, gullible owners are easily taken for a ride.

It is quite possible to repaint a TR6 to a standard appropriate for the kind of cars these are for £1600. To achieve that, the car needs to be delivered to the painters fully stripped and prepared requiring little preparation.

The reality is that shells are rarely owner prepared to such a standard and the body shop monkey has to extra hours elbow greasing the shell to shape.

Labour should be around £50/hour so if materials are £800 then even if they spend 40 hours that equates to £2800 plus VAT. Any more and you either have a very rough shell or a wealthy paint monkey.

When was the last time you had a full bare metal repaint done with all the correct repairs/re-gapping done? Toms reply above is more like it and quite often it will take considerably longer especially if you want the shell painted inside and out and each panel painted separately inside and out and then all the panels put back properly. Never mind the cost of materials as well.

Oh and who are you calling a monkey?

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi fellas this is a VERY interesting topic indeed, When I first started out restoring my first 6 some 10 years ago I wondered quite early on what to do about the final finish. I went to my first Malvern IWE with my wife in 2005 to associate myself with all things TR6. It was actually my wife`s dream to own one and who was I to say no? We saw at the IWE an amazing stand, I forget who, they had painted a car and it was immaculate! cost 5K. My wife turned to me and said "why would you pay that much on paintwork when someone, the first time you park the car up, wherever, an admiring member of the public, leans over to have a look inside and drags her dolci vita handbag across the paintwork scaring it for life?" I am not saying for a moment that we blokes have said handbag, although these days anything goes, but I could fully understand her comment. From then on it was simple. In the end I paid about 1.5K to have the complete car re-sprayed having done most of the prep work myself, by a little back street paint shop in Plymouth. The results were very good and we never worry where we park the car, any little marks or chips are touched up to add top the patina! I went back 3 times with other cars and the paint covering is still going strong on those too. I suppose the moral of the story is if you pay peanuts you get chimps to do the work(sorry Stuart I had to continue the monkey theme) but if you look at sample of the work done previously and you are happy with that, crack on. If someone wishes to pay 5K+ that's great too, but make sure the handbag that scratches it is a really expensive one that way you won`t feel too bad when you get the touch up bill! Andy

Ha ha ha Stuart !!!

well the tub and all the panels are booked into Inviro Strip 14th December and should be back with me by the end of January, can't wait to see it all one colour again even if it is only etch primer Lol.

Then the finishing and rebuild can start :)

Nigel

I think the problem with threads like this is that people have different views about what is being asked and answer accordingly.

The OP asked about the cost of a respray, given that his shell was 'ready for paint'. He didn't ask about the cost of fettling the body shell so that all the gaps line up perfectly although I accept he did mention seam sealing. He didn't mention reassembling all the panels either.

I'm happy to concede that if we're not, 'just talking about paint', the cost of the entire body works would be significantly higher.

The shell doesn't sound like it's ready to paint. Many hours will need to be spent prepping the panels, lining them up etc......... It's bare metal as far as i read it

Tom

I have spent the last 12 monthes preparing the tub and panels to a pristen condition !! and it is all now ready for to have all the old paint and any surface rust removed, hence why INVIRO-STRIP are carrying this out ( I have removed all the old under seal and sound deadening ).

INVIRO-STRIP are also going to 2pk etch prime.

I will seam seal and afix the new sound deadening and a local paint shop will carry out any contour fettling that need doing (probably only on the rear scuttle to match the boot lid).

So what are you on about Tom !!!!!!

Nigel is my name not PO :)

Nigel,

I am on about the remainder of the prep...

You may find that pretty much every panel will need a little bit of work here and there.......

Gapping up will be necessary, potentially welding/leading to achieve suitable lines....

The etch primer they put in will need to be keyed, primed & flatted, masked out, painted, flatted & polished etc etc.....

That's what i am on about....

:)

Tom

Tom,

One does realise this it will probably take me another 2 monthes at least to prepare before the finishing coat ;) not the first time I have stripped a car for painting :ph34r: and probably won't be the last, I find it very theraputic in a strange way :wacko: just be glad when I can enjoy driving it again.

Nigel

Tom, surely all of the gapping up, hacking, chopping, welding, alignment and fettling is done prior to the painting. Then its a matter of getting everything painted knowing that it will all fit back together exactly without the need for further adjustment? or am I doing something wrong with my projects? or is there an easier way? Nigel if you need therapy I have two projects on the go here that will give you hours of the stuff. the weather isn't too bad either.