Sidelight / flasher bulbs question

My sidelights have the short twin filament bulbs, same size as number plate bulbs. The standard twin filament bulb fits into the holder but then the lens won't fit on as it fouls the bulb, these being the shallower lenses as opposed to the deeper TR4 type.

In the Mossalogue they're listed as GLB380 for the TR2 & 3, but then the longer TR4A bulbs have the same designation too. So either they can't both be the same, or they are the same and I have the wrong bulb holders.

Cannot seem to find these shorter bulbs locally.

Can anyone clarify ?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

For TR2's and TR3's up to car TS1740, the side / indicator lights had a deeper bulb holder and flatter clear glass lens.

The following cars were then fitted with a shorter bulb holder and used the protruding (beehive) clear lens.

All as shown in the Moss catalogue.

Regards, Richard

17H5426 is the part number for the deeper bulb holder.

If you haven't put these together prepare for a bit of fun as they can be a real pig to fit. Use the flattest screws to fit the holder to the apron or the lens will hit the screw heads and you wont be able to get the lens to sit low enough to get the chrome ring into the second slot.

You can of course use the later "beehive" clear lens with what you have and the taller bulbs as used on the later 3's and 3a and save the cost of the more expensive deeper bulb holders.

Seems as if you have the right lens but the wrong bulb holder or the right bulb holder but wrong lens depending on the age of the car.

Been through my Lucas master parts books and and only find the 380 dually bulb listed for both.

Edited by Rodbr

What age car do you have ? maybe it is supposed to have the larger lenses, in which case standard bulbs will fit.

Do you inner wings have large holes behind the light units, or just shallow depressions ? The longer lamp holders require the holes.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Well, I have to confess now that these are on a Series One Land Rover, although not a complete intruder here as I do have a TR4A !

The Landie, a 1955, never had any flashers originally so, many years ago when I had a TR2, I fitted some TR2 twin filament bulbholders rather than add separate amber flashers, in order to keep the original look.

The later beehive lenses will of course fit but then they're not original either, so it looks as though I'll have to get some deeper bulbholders if I cannot get the smaller bulbs.

Anthony

Anthony.

I should have a pair of the deeper holders somewhere, because I "upgraded my early '3 to the beehive lenses in amber for better indicator visibility, & modern colour. My sidelights have moved to be within the headlamp reflector.

Yours if you want them.

Bob.

Yep, those are the exact ones, Rob - many thanks for the info.

However, due to i) the cost of postage of said bulbs and ii) the probable increasing difficulty of sourcing these bulbs, I think I may well take up your offer, Bob, so that in future I can just use the standard bulbs. So if it's not too much trouble.......?

On the other hand maybe you should keep them. One day you might be selling the car and someone may say "Jeez, no, you've got the wrong lenses - I'm walking away !"

Edited by Superaquarama