rear bumper fitting

Who'd have thought it would take so long to fit a rear bumper...............will I never learn? If I think it will take a morning, allow threes days!

During the rebuild process I did check that the bumper irons would fit through the holes and yes they did, more or less.

However when it came to fitting them in anger a bit of a different story, still fit but with a bit more jiggling required and some heavy duty filing.

Fitting the bumper to the brackets has proved to be quite a pain and has caused some collateral damage to my nice new paintwork. Lesson learned, masking tape over all the bumper edges.

Observations.....the center of the bumper is very close to the rear valance 1/4" even with all the brackets set as far back as possible.

The over riders far from being dangerously close to the boot lid seem to have settled a good inch of clearance, but do look as if they are "leaning back" at what seems a very odd angle.

Lastly the catalog shows support brackets for the over riders......I didn't take any brackets off, do I need to fit these? Do they bolt through the valence?

Sorry to ramble all and any advice appreciated.

Sounds as if you may well have a repro rear bumper too as they dont have the right curve to follow the back panel and so are very close in the middle.

Stuart.

Thanks all, the bracket I was referring to seems to be an additional bracket fitted to the lower of the two bolt holes in the over rider and from there to who knows where. The bumper seems very sturdy even without them?

I think you are probably right Stuart, I put it up against the very original bumper and it is rather straighter. However I think I can live with it, I am not very confident of my ability to bend the replacement without making a complete pigs ear of it.

Thanks again David

Thanks all, the bracket I was referring to seems to be an additional bracket fitted to the lower of the two bolt holes in the over rider and from there to who knows where. The bumper seems very sturdy even without them?

I think you are probably right Stuart, I put it up against the very original bumper and it is rather straighter. However I think I can live with it, I am not very confident of my ability to bend the replacement without making a complete pigs ear of it.

Thanks again David

The bracket bolts to the lower face of the chassis at the back, you will see a hole for it, just a bit of fun getting a nut and bolt in it!.

Stuart.

I think you are probably right Stuart, I put it up against the very original bumper and it is rather straighter

Mmm.......does anyone know if this "straightness" applies to those stainless bumpers ? I was thinking of getting a pair of these from the TR Shop.

I havent tried a set for 4/4a/5 yet so cant comment though I know 2/3/3a and 6 ones fit fine.

Stuart.

Hi David,

if you fit the lower stays you may well find that the overriders will sit more vertical.

Don't try to bend the bumper yourself - you will indeed make a pigs ear of it.

Have you got a local metal refinisher/plating shop. These guys can work magic on these things.

Roger

I think you are probably right Stuart, I put it up against the very original bumper and it is rather straighter

Mmm.......does anyone know if this "straightness" applies to those stainless bumpers ? I was thinking of getting a pair of these from the TR Shop.

I can't speak for the TR shop bumpers but I have the Harrington SS bumpers on my TR4A and the curve of the rear bumper is correct.

http://www.groupharrington.com/en/page/42/about-bumpers.html

Cheers

Graeme

I can't speak for the TR shop bumpers but I have the Harrington SS bumpers on my TR4A and the curve of the rear bumper is correct.

http://www.groupharrington.com/en/page/42/about-bumpers.html

Cheers

Graeme

Same thing Graeme thats the ones that TR Shop sell.

Stuart.

Thank's chaps.

I hadn't thought of getting some one else to "bend" the bumper, For the time being I think I'll leave it as it is it has clearance of 1/4" in the center of the rear valance so will do no damage.

Though it's in pretty good nick I may well get it rechromed in a year or so, at that time I will give the platers both the well past it old original as a template and the "new" one and see what they can do.

Moving forward (How I hate the expression) I have bought new "A" post upper rubbers................there is no provision for them to fit in the existing channel, what's a chap supposed to do?

Thanks all David

Moving forward (How I hate the expression) I have bought new "A" post upper rubbers................there is no provision for them to fit in the existing channel, what's a chap supposed to do?

Thanks all David

What rubbers are you talking about?

Stuart.

By the sound of it you have bought the TR5/6 additional rubbers, are they a "P" shape, if so they werent originally fitted to a 4/4a though they can be used. they are stuck to the rear face of the screen frame shut face and down the "A" post round the hinge. If you still have the original steel channel on the screen frame for the original rubber seal then you will struggle to fit these as there isnt really room enough.

Stuart.