Cigar Lighter

Hello

Bit of a strange question however I would like to mount a cigar lighter in the hole in my TR4 dash where the washer pump sits. I have installed an electric washer and have relocated the switch for this to the radio panel so the old push pump is now redundant. The idea for the cigar lighter is to power a GPS, iphone charger etc. I had bought one off ebay but it was slightly too wide and although I "modified" it to fit it could be done better. I would prefer not to modify the dash as I may want to return the car to stock later on. Has anyone had any experience of this and know of a lighter that would fit perfectly?

Thanks

Myles

Myles

As far as I know most cigar lighters are the same size more or less.

On my 4A I made a bracket that fits under the dash hard up again the H frame on the passenger side.

This keeps the cable for the GPS out of the way so you don't catch it when changing gear

Dave

Myles

As far as I know most cigar lighters are the same size more or less.

On my 4A I made a bracket that fits under the dash hard up again the H frame on the passenger side.

This keeps the cable for the GPS out of the way so you don't catch it when changing gear

Dave

I did likewise, although mounted onto bracket below the glove-box and out of sight, and left the redundant washer in place.

I bought a flush fit twin usb socket with LED illumination for £2.99 and fitted it into the side wall of the glove box. There's enough gap in the glove box lid to allow the cable to exit. Its totally hidden and you can coil the slack cable from the sat nav etc inside the glove box. For a further £1.99 I got a USB LED map light as well.

If you can't find a 12v socket to fit the hole, I've just fitted this to the bar under the glove box (TR6) which works a treat. I attached a separate length of wire with fuse (Halfords) and connected straight to the auxiliary connector on the ignition switch. It was the only one I could find with a suitable bracket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380503208544?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you can't find a 12v socket to fit the hole, I've just fitted this to the bar under the glove box (TR6) which works a treat. I attached a separate length of wire with fuse (Halfords) and connected straight to the auxiliary connector on the ignition switch. It was the only one I could find with a suitable bracket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380503208544?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I fit them a lot they are handy having the mount.

Stuart.

I have just bought the same - just need to work out which wires to connect to, I removed the one the PO fitted when I reversed the earths last year as it stopped working) and used the vacant wires for my radio. Can I hack err I mean splice into the same ?

Faced with the same dilemma on my 4A, I decided to fit the 'cigar lighter' socket in place of the (useless) panel lamp rheostat. On discovering that all cigar lighter sockets were too big, I fitted one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-24v-Female-Din-Accessory-Power-Socket-Connector-16A-Hella-Trucks-Triumph-/370847367862?hash=item565839c2b6:g:DlkAAOSwe-FU5ghp

instead, and bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-Type-DIN-PLUG-Accessory-Lead-To-Standard-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-/131643108529?hash=item1ea68a6cb1:g:qpUAAOSwY45URn92

to keep in the glove box. The DIN socket fitted in the rheostat hole with very little fettling as I recall, and looks neat.

Have fun,

Graham

I have just bought the same - just need to work out which wires to connect to, I removed the one the PO fitted when I reversed the earths last year as it stopped working) and used the vacant wires for my radio. Can I hack err I mean splice into the same ?

Yes you can. You may have a spare connector so won't need to 'splice' the radio feed. I have a dash mounted ignition switch which has auxiliary connectors shown at '4' below. Radio connected to red and 12v socket to blue. The auxiliary connector is quite handy - turning the key anti-clockwise to 11 o'clock turns on anything connected to 4 without full ignition.

post-11466-0-83071300-1446627221_thumb.jpg

??? don't understand.??

My 4A came with a "cigar" lighter on the lowest level of the dash 'H', on the right side.

Was this not standard? (Thought all you blokes puffed fags in the 60's. esp woodbines)

handy for the GPS.

No Jim, R/hand side of H normally has the facia/floor selector pull cable for the heater.

Stuart.

Hi

My 4 is still pos earth as for a 62 vehicle the previous owner had installed a cigar lighter on a bracket under the glove box (did anybody ever keep gloves in them)? and an electric wash switch on the same bracket.I found out on a rainy dark morning coming out of Le Havre that the nav doesn"t work on poss earth.I have now fitted the bracket on a piece of wood and reversed the wiring to suite thought it easier than reversing the cars polarity and sort of wanted to keep it original..

Phil...

If you have anything with a metal case plugged into that socket Phil, just make sure it can't touch any metalwork on the car - else you could get a short circuit.

The housing is plastic, yes? So I guess in theory one of these could be used with a positive-ground system by maintaining complete isolation of the socket?

$_57.JPG

The housing is plastic, yes? So I guess in theory one of these could be used with a positive-ground system by maintaining complete isolation of the socket?

$_57.JPG

I think the problem is when you plug something in that has a metal case that is expecting a negative ground. Things go swimmingly well right up to the point where that case touches bare metal.

Stan

You bet -- electrical isolation of the positive ground and negative ground circuits has to be perfect, or you'll let the smoke out.