"Copper" bleed screws on early Lockheed brakes?

A buddy is working on a car with early 10-inch Lockheed front brakes. He's noted the bleed screws appear to be copper. (Maybe bronze). In 40+ years of playing with Triumphs he's never seen such a thing.

Anybody here know anything that might help?

(I'll be able to see them and take pix in a couple of weeks.)

Could be, Alec -- these are indeed on a Doretti. Copper is almost impossible to machine -- brass or bronze are much easier!

I have come across bleed screws that look like they are copper plated on steel. Maybe a corrosion resistance coating. - I will dig in the drawer today to see if I still have any to confirm that they are magnetic.

Peter W

PS OK Just checked and they are copper plated steel (like OE manifold to head studs)

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Peter -- that makes some sense. I'll have a chance to test the ferromagnetic properties of these in a few weeks.

I have seen copper plated as well, I suspect thats more likely what they are. Automec do nice brass ones if replacing old steel ones.

Stuart.

• 2 months later...

Following up on this to close the loop. I had a chance a few weeks ago to look at those copper-colored bleed screws. They're exactly as you guys have seen. Copper-plated steel. First I've run across, but this is a lot earlier in the sidescreen timeline than I usually have a chance to explore.

Probably an anticorrosion coating, as everyone thinks.