Hi All

Since I seem to get sensible and good answers I thought I'd just keep asking questions to get help with the rebuild of my Tr4A (solid axle).

When considering the differential, there seems to be two on offer, a 3.7:1 and a 4.1:1. What are peoples opinions on this. A quick and crude calculation:

In direct drive (1:1gear ratio) with the wheel diameter = 0.645 m at 4000 RPM, this should result in a speed of 80 mph for a 3.7:1 differential. This is very rough as it doesn't account for resistance.

Is there any benefit for going for a slower diff (i.e. the 4.1:1)? Or if you are purely considering a direct drive ratio, and thus no overdrive (!), is the 3.7:1 the best way to go to maximise top speed? It seems like the 3.7:1 will increase top speed but the 4.1:1 will give you better acceleration.

Thanks

Adam

Edited by The_Doc

My car has a 4.1:1 diff.....great acceleration but would be horrible without O/D.

O/D gives 22 mph/1000 rpm with this set up.

I guess a 3.7 with O/D would give 25 mph/1000rpm.

In day to day driving the 4.1 will out perform the 3.7 but not so nice if you want to do a motorway journey at any speed.

Adam,

My 4 has a 4.1: 1 diff, with overdrive. Last year I had the overdrive rebuilt to give a 28% reduction, and am very happy with the blend of good acceleration with long legs for cruising. It does bring o/d 3rd and direct 4th close together, but I haven't found it an issue.

You can check rpm/mph on the Mintylamb website.

Mike

Mine is 3.45:1 and I have OD wired to work in all four gears (with a fail safe in case I look for reverse without disengaging and lunching the OD unit), so that's an 8 speed TR!!

With a mildly tuned engine and standard flywheel acceleration is good and especially if you want to cruise 'at speed' it's superb. I've a new engine going in with 89mm pistons and a lightweight flywheel etc etc, so performance will be up and so will my acceleration.

The OD upshifts are to me what the TR is all about!

Also worthy of note is touring tank range.

Adam,

My 4 has a 4.1: 1 diff, with overdrive. Last year I had the overdrive rebuilt to give a 28% reduction, and am very happy with the blend of good acceleration with long legs for cruising. It does bring o/d 3rd and direct 4th close together, but I haven't found it an issue.

You can check rpm/mph on the Mintylamb website.

Mike

Mike I like the idea of 28% overdrive with the 4.1 ratio. - My brother ran a 4.1 with Dol Sprint J type box in a TR2 for many years, and that was quite acceptable round town.

I am still striving to decide what ratio to build into my replacement axle ( I bought the car in 1975 needing an axle rebuild) My shelf NOS axle ratio choices are 3.45, 3.7. 3.9, & 4.1

I look forward to reading other hints or advice.

Minty Lamb link

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/gearspeed/

Cheers

Peter W

Also worthy of note is touring tank range.

Mark what mileage can you do on a tank full?

Stuart.