The diff weighs 100 lbs if I recall. One of mine has a drain plug which presents another irritant to handling.

Jack it down and jack it back up. It will try to roll off, so mind that.

While we're on the topic, synthetic oil seems to work fine and might save an mpg as it's thin like water.

Cheers,

Tom

The diff weighs 100 lbs if I recall. One of mine has a drain plug which presents another irritant to handling.

Jack it down and jack it back up. It will try to roll off, so mind that.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

the IRS diff is rather less than 100lbs . . . . . I can lift a diff with one hand, which certainly isn't 100lbs !!

More like 70-75lbs I'd reckon ?

Cheers

Alec

70 pounds.

Ed

It's heavy, of that there is no doubt.

It won't roll off my lifting attachment Tom.

Dave

Diff came out at the weekend and is now with Pete Cox for getting!

My son in law helped me balance it on the Jack so removal was pretty easy. Hopefully going back in should be straightforward too.

Wouldn't gave wanted to balance it on my own. Two pairs of hands is pretty much essential.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Simon

Did mine on my own on my driveway earlier this year, my drive is gravel based so placed some sheets of galvanised still on ground to stop ramps/jacks sinking.

My method was

1. Drive on to ramps

2. Raise off these with jack and support with stands (wood between chassis and stands), i increased height about 50mm (2") above ramps so wheels can rotate.

3. undo three drive shaft points

4. remove middle and read section of exhaust

5. manufacture a wooden crate to support diff & mount on end of trolley jack

6. Raise to support diff and remove 4 mountings

7. Lastly lower to ground and slide it out on trolley jack.

Only real issue i had was angle of the car was at, versus angle the trolley jack raises the diff on re installation, i did it on my own but had to wiggle it & sweat a bit to make it align up.

Pictures attached

Andy

Did it exactly this way last month. Works a treat and takes less than an hour to remove, same to refit.

Nigel

Diff all back in now after being rebuilt by Pete Cox. Interestingly, it was missing a crownwheel tooth and Pete said the missing tooth wasn't in the bottom of the diff when it was cleaned out. This means it happened some time before the car was fully rebuilt in 1995 and the person who rebuilt it knew it was suspect. I suppose this goes to show how tough the unit is as it's been driven for 20 years this way! Pete installed an excellent matched crownwheel and pinion in the diff as well as sorting it out.

Fairly straightforward installing the diff in the car using a plank of wood and a jack, wouldn't have wanted to do it without my Son-in-law's help though. Just got to re-fit the exhausts so I can drive it to my other Daughters garage where it's all got to come apart for the front hub/rear hub/driveshaft upgrade!

Simon

Interestingly, it was missing a crownwheel tooth and Pete said the missing tooth wasn't in the bottom of the diff when it was cleaned out. This means it happened some time before the car was fully rebuilt in 1995 and the person who rebuilt it knew it was suspect.

Simon I would suggest you work a little bit on the power in the next step.

The are nice stroker kits, fuel injection systems and cylinder heads on the market.

With a 5 litre you would have noticed that fault already in 1996 :-)