Rattle Cans or Compressor For Rust proffing

Ok I have a cleanish garage and want to keep it that way.

Up to now when I have done underseal it has been painting on to surfaces or rattle cans with long wands to do cavities.

If I used a compressor to spray the stuff, I have been told there will be goo in every corner of the garage due to the amount of energy that the goo has from a compressor compared to the punch it has from a rattle can.

What are the panels opinions.

eddie

I use Wuth cavity wax, both rattle can, for inside the doors and other intricate areas, and their compressor spray option.

It does not need to be heated, and with a sheet on the floor to catch drips, is easy to apply and does not cover everything in the vicinity.

Any that gets onto paintwork needs to be cleaned up with white spirit before it hardens.

http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstorefront/Chemical-Product/Protective-Wax/Cavity

You'll have no problem with a compressor driven schutz gun Eddie. Just make sure that the schutz cartridge is properly screwed onto the lance. If it comes off then you will be wearing the stuff - I know this to be true.

I waxoyl cars fairly often in the workshop using a proper waxoyl gun with a wand attached and if you are sensible with where you aim the wand then you wont get it everywhere, its only the floor area that will get any on and a sheet down will sort that out.Do be careful with the wands and dont bend them over when you have the trigger pulled as the cans arent that strong and you will end up wearing it!

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

Just make sure that the schutz cartridge is properly screwed onto the lance. If it comes off then you will be wearing the stuff - I know this to be true.

or if the can explodes apart at the seam :unsure:

After changing my seats the other week, I used some spray can waxoyl from halfords to cover the new nuts and old holes (until I find another way of blanking them off).

Having never used the stuff before, it seems less like wax and more like squeezy cream in a can - and certainly not like the waxy/rubbery coating that TRE applied earlier in the year???

here's my two penarth'

having had face-fulls of goo in the past from bursting cans or backfiring schutz guns, I made my own goo injection system as follows:

obtain some 6 mm od nylon pneumatic tubing, say 3 m should be plenty

make a spray nozzle by taking a countersunk headed self tapper, sized to be a good screw fit in the tube, and grind the threads to a triangular cross section leaving just sufficient thread at the peak of each corner to still screw in to the tube,

the tube needs to be cut nice and square

connect tube using compression fittings, as used for pneumatics, to the outlet of an old car filter unit ( i.e. as used with paper filters) , inside the filter head arrange a dip-pipe to go from near the canister base to the outlet, and connect the filter inlet to your air compressor, with an air valve in the line to shut off the air. The air pressurises the top of the goo, forcing it up the dip-pipe and along the nylon tube

test the spray by adjusting the self tapper and air pressure, spraying inside an empty clear plastic ( pop ) bottle until a good circular pattern is achieved.

Warm the goo ( wax oil, schutz, dinitrol or whatever you favour) by standing the can in hot water, also keep the filter in hot water.

push tube into cavity to be sprayed and turn on air, withdrawing tube as you go.

Works well for me, have fun and wear old clothes, goggles, an rubber gloves

hope this makes sense

Mike

here's my two penarth'

having had face-fulls of goo in the past from bursting cans or backfiring schutz guns, I made my own goo injection system as follows:

obtain some 6 mm od nylon pneumatic tubing, say 3 m should be plenty

make a spray nozzle by taking a countersunk headed self tapper, sized to be a good screw fit in the tube, and grind the threads to a triangular cross section leaving just sufficient thread at the peak of each corner to still screw in to the tube,

the tube needs to be cut nice and square

connect tube using compression fittings, as used for pneumatics, to the outlet of an old car filter unit ( i.e. as used with paper filters) , inside the filter head arrange a dip-pipe to go from near the canister base to the outlet, and connect the filter inlet to your air compressor, with an air valve in the line to shut off the air. The air pressurises the top of the goo, forcing it up the dip-pipe and along the nylon tube

test the spray by adjusting the self tapper and air pressure, spraying inside an empty clear plastic ( pop ) bottle until a good circular pattern is achieved.

Warm the goo ( wax oil, schutz, dinitrol or whatever you favour) by standing the can in hot water, also keep the filter in hot water.

push tube into cavity to be sprayed and turn on air, withdrawing tube as you go.

Works well for me, have fun and wear old clothes, goggles, an rubber gloves

hope this makes sense

Mike

That works fine just as well as any of the proprietary waxoyl guns. The problem occurs when you kink the pipe pulling it out of the chassis/sill/wherever and then the container instantly goes to full pressure and you and everywhere else are wearing it! :wacko::ph34r:

Stuart.