Scammer alert

Bloody hell, I do seem to attract them.

Another bloody scammer!!! And another twat that can't spell!

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response about the product am buying from

you,anyway the price is OK by me but i will like you to know that

payment will be made by Check..

If this mode of payment is OK by you. Kindly send your information

which you will like to receive the payment from the post man, so that

i can instruct my secretary to issued it immediately

Name to be on Check....

Address where Check..will be received by you:.......

Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land line and Office number:....

Asking Price.........

Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared

the payment from your Bank Account.

Await your Quick Response so that i can arrange for the payment immediately.

Thanks and Get back

On 1/17/16, Graeme Thoburn <fw14b@sky.com> wrote:

The asking price you know. The pictures are on the website you looked at to

get the information.

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Jan 2016, at 13:18, Jackie Braze <kuvosky12@gmail.com> wrote:

Send pictures with your asking price.

Just had the same reply from an ad site. I have on the TR Register Buy sell trade

I thought it sounded an alarm bell so have deleted the ad on the site

Interesting that Braze had sent me an e:mail just 1 minute before fw14b got his.

Edited by Rex Wyer

Always best to ignore such emails. Even telling them to foff simply serves to confirm that your email is live.

Hi All

I received a similar e-mail and at the risk of appearing stupid kinder don't understand where the scam is

Here a copy of the E mail I received

Jackie Braze <kuvosky12@gmail.com>

Jan 17 at 6:55 PM

To james kearney

Message body

Hello,
Thanks for the quick response about the product am buying from
you,anyway the price is OK by me but i will like you to know that
payment will be made by Check..
If this mode of payment is OK by you. Kindly send your information
which you will like to receive the payment from the post man, so that
i can instruct my secretary to issued it immediately

Name to be on Check....
Address where Check..will be received by you:.......
Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land line and Office number:....
Asking Price.........

Never mind about the pick up, it will be after you must have cleared
the payment from your Bank Account.
Await your Quick Response so that i can arrange for the payment immediately.

Thanks and Get back

-----------------------------------------End------------------------------------------------------------

So I attached some photos and sent them to him or her?????????

I then received an e-mail asking for my home address which I did not send since then I haven't heard any more as a said earlier I just don't get it

James, a

There's more to it than just bouncing cheques, John, it's an intro to identity theft if the victim is not very careful . . . . .

The idea of having an open Buy/Sell section on our website is quite simply misconceived, no matter how well intentioned.

We're simply opening a door to the kind of scum who target the innocent / gullible / naïve / trusting members.

I suggest that has been adequately demonstrated . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi John

After sale probably wouldn't let goods leave my premises until the cash in my hands or the check had previously cleared.

I've done a bit of looking into this on Google and it is looking like it's turning out to be an identity scan.

When you get some of these unsolicited E mails if you some of sentences you can see where they turn up in other forums.

James...........

Wish I'd seen this earlier. I was approached by Kuvosky12 as well. Only after I gave my address and mobile/landline numbers did I think something was odd. I phoned the bank who said probably application fraud was most likely objective. I also dialled 101 and got a crime number from the police, in case something is attempted in future. I always felt sorry for people who were scammed - now I am one :angry:

Looking in Google, it appears that the same email message text has been in use for several years - always the same, targeting forum sale sites from magic, to lutes and now TR's ! The email name obviously changes frequently as it becomes blocked.

As I get dozens of scam emails a day via the company site, I can spot most dodgy emails, indeed I now treat most email from a company or strange party with suspicion !!! - especially those that ask you to open an attachment, be it an alleged invoice, receipt, form to fill etc etc or a link to click (these are often virus designed to search your machine).

I have some clever filtering software, but many still get through and they are looking increasingly genuine.

I suspect they are not after your money or planning to rob you right here and now, but are collecting information to sell on others for identity theft / hacking in due course.

It would be helpful if the register could post some guidelines on the sale and wanted section on spotting debatable emails/messages and how to tread with caution.

For now I would suggest that anyone correspond through the system rather than private email with anyone they do not know. Provide no personal information, no matter how mundane, until you have established that the inquiry is genuine. If the party keeps referring to say the 'item' or the 'product', rather than the 'clutch', then they are not likely to be genuine.

My daughter (The Doctor) tells me that she has received the old Nigerian Scam again recently.

You know, "I happen to have €13 million and need to get it into the UK - please send me all your bank details and you can have 10%"

But this time apparently from a Spanish Law firm (that really exists!) and by letter!

Real printed paper, an envelope and stamp!

Either more mugs are falling for it, or they can forge stamps too!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Must admit, looking at the text as written, a couple of small thing jump out;

The phrasing is poor - so the writer is probably not a native English speaker, who learned English in a school in the UK

We spell it 'cheque'

Another slip I have seen is 'cell' for mobile

When I had an "enquiry" from Malta for my 6 it was 'check' and 'cell' that put me off . . . .combined with the amount of personal info requested

Hi John

After sale probably wouldn't let goods leave my premises until the cash in my hands or the check had previously cleared.

I've done a bit of looking into this on Google and it is looking like it's turning out to be an identity scan.

When you get some of these unsolicited E mails if you some of sentences you can see where they turn up in other forums.

James...........

Even if it clears it can still be reversed weeks later. Here for sure, but I never paid one into my old Lloyds account so am not sure if clearance rules differ back there.

Google cashiers check - us spelling - scam.

Edited by alan atkinson

This Scamming is obviously affecting more of us than we think and cant be stopped............

But with the old system of buy and selling informally on the forum, did we have this problem ? Not that i can remember.

I had the same so called buyer as the rest, the email was so abrupt and none personal, it wouldnt have come from a member....but then you think, how can i judge the way a person writes an email.

The old system was more personal and was for all to see.......nothing to hide and plenty of banter..

Back to fighting off the scammers,

Conrad.

I'll be removing the option to display email addresses and phone numbers from now on and forcing all users to use a contact form facility - site wide.

A plea from me, please please only input your contact details into the contact details area of the classifieds form. That way they are protected by the form.

Please , please help us to help you and DO NOT write your email address and telephone number in the description of the item you are selling.

The same as posting on the forum, please do not publish email addresses in your threads or replies, use the PM facility to make initial contact. I have spent some time this afternoon editing adverts who have included personal contact details in the items description. The same goes for eBay, Pistonheads or any other internet advertising outlet.

Wayne, a simple Java script trick will hide both email and phone and will deter spy robots. The user will only have to click on the email or phone for it to appear. Not sure how it works but any web builder should know.

As I get dozens of scam emails a day via the company site, I can spot most dodgy emails, indeed I now treat most email from a company or strange party with suspicion !!! - especially those that ask you to open an attachment, be it an alleged invoice, receipt, form to fill etc etc or a link to click (these are often virus designed to search your machine).

I have some clever filtering software, but many still get through and they are looking increasingly genuine.

I suspect they are not after your money or planning to rob you right here and now, but are collecting information to sell on others for identity theft / hacking in due course.

It would be helpful if the register could post some guidelines on the sale and wanted section on spotting debatable emails/messages and how to tread with caution.

For now I would suggest that anyone correspond through the system rather than private email with anyone they do not know. Provide no personal information, no matter how mundane, until you have established that the inquiry is genuine. If the party keeps referring to say the 'item' or the 'product', rather than the 'clutch', then they are not likely to be genuine.

+1. I follow the same path as Austin when confronted by an email from someone I don't know. Always start from the position of assuming that it's a scam. Don't volunteer personal details, anytime, anywhere. My wife says I have trust issues . . . and she is right. I even get edgy if I think someone is following me home when I'm in the TR.

I'll be removing the option to display email addresses and phone numbers from now on and forcing all users to use a contact form facility - site wide.

A plea from me, please please only input your contact details into the contact details area of the classifieds form. That way they are protected by the form.

Please , please help us to help you and DO NOT write your email address and telephone number in the description of the item you are selling.

The same as posting on the forum, please do not publish email addresses in your threads or replies, use the PM facility to make initial contact. I have spent some time this afternoon editing adverts who have included personal contact details in the items description. The same goes for eBay, Pistonheads or any other internet advertising outlet.

Sounds like a good solution Wayne.

Cheers, Darren

Edited by TR5tar