Hard Top Headlining

I am currently restoring a 1972 hardtop that came with the car.

The car is Pimento red, with a black interior.

The harttop headlining has long gone.

What would the original colour have been, I see there is white, off white or black. Skinner seem to also offer a beige.

I am leaning towards off white. But I would rather find out what was fitted originally.

Many thanks

Should be a crinkly white vinyl. Not off-white; white.

For my Surrey tops I have Sunfast canvas in off-white and Ultra Suede in cream colour. First one however was the correct white textured vinyl which I didn't care much for. Next one will be a Shadow Blue compatible Ultra Suede to complement an interior in that shade.

I suggest going with a light colour as dark ones shrink the feel of the already small interior.

Cheers,

Tom

When I bought mine it came with a black (usable) headliner. When I removed it for repainting it was definitely a black vinyl material and not something that had been re-coloured.

Mike

All original head linings that I have seen have always been Off White but some people might call it Old English White or they might call it very light Cream???? I do not know what Triumph called this colour!

Bruce.

The 1969 model TR6 hardtop cars had a black headlining.

I stand corrected :( - never saw one of those in the flesh but have seen plenty of white ones which evidently followed.

Here you go Tom............a 69 hardtop fitted to VUX:

12107093_10205515371258864_6679403649359

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I have got samples from a long he various sources and skinners white vinyl, looks very much like an old English white. Nice feel to it. So I think that will keep the cockpit nice and bright.

Does anyone have a picture off the bottom of the hood where the rubber seals are glued. I seem to have two different profiles for the sides.

I'd like to know the answer to this too but the following observation may help .....

The rubber side seals have two different profiles. One corner is roughly a right angle and the opposite corner has a lip. I glued the right angle corner into the edge between the side of the hard top and the base only to find that it doesn't sitright. I think the seal probably needs to be fitted with the lip glued to the underside of the hardtop. This wasn't obvious from photographs I took before removing the old one because it had flattened so much over the years.

David