Exhaust fumes from twin tailpipes

Hello again,

On driving back with my new TR6 yesterday I had the top down and though how smelly all the cars I was following were. It only occurred to me that it was actually my cars own fumes that after 40 mins was making me feel quite ill. The system is a newly fitted SS twin exhaust one with the pipes pointing up below the rear bumper that looks lovely but I can't live with that smell that ruins the drive. Is this usual? I have had TR4s and MGBs and a Stag but never had this occur is this a 6 thing with the flat back bringing the vapours back in like dirty rear hatchback syndrome?

Charles

post-12736-0-64522400-1443688727_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter useful threads, what with fuel pump and PI issues and having twin exhausts trying to suffocate me I am seriously regretting selling my 4A :(

Maybe I wont keep this one too long.

Charles

Charles,

As Peter linked above I had this problem with twin exhausts ( with many drivers reporting similar effects) and it is now cured. Yes the car needs a once over for leaky exhaust etc, but in the end my fix was two curved SS trim pipes that cost about a £10 for the two off e-bay. - Please check your tail pipe diameter if you order these exactly fitted mine with the adjustment screws cut off. Driven about 3500 miles since fitting.

With twin exhausts, even if your can't smell the fumes they are being sucked back into the cockpit and trying to kill you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161523251404

Alan