Rostyle Hubcaps

I had an issue similar to this some years ago (on a Vitesse, but similar trims from (I think) a PI saloon)

It was the tyre sidewall 'moving' during cornering, and squeezing the trim off!

It transpired I had tyres that were too wide for the rims, and underinflated, causing the sidewall movement.

Get someone to help you, and slide a couple of thicknesses of paper along between the trim and rim, while rocking the car from side to side.

'If the paper pinches/snags, that may be enough under duress to 'pop' the fixing!

If you can, try a few more PSI in the tyres.

If not, you may have to do what I did, and fix with SS wire ties.

Hi,

I've found that the rim that holds the trim onto the studs can distort which then loosens the grip on the studs. The trim can only fit in one position which means that the fitting studs grip at the same three points around that lip.

To remedy this in the past I've marked the three points around the rim and then lightly tapped them towards the centre of the trim with a mallet or piece of wood.

You can give them a few taps and then trial fit them and see how easy or not they are to remove.

This has worked for me.

Another symptom of them loosening is that the trim can move slightly round the wheel rim, easy to notice as the valve gets bent over.

Unfortunately, the more times they come off and bounce down the road the more bent the outer rim becomes and the less securely they fit.

Tie-wrap technology may be the route to go but it probably won't be very pretty.

Regards

Peter

When I restored my Vitesse Mk2 I fitted the Original Wheels and Tyre's and some N.O.S. PI Ro-style Wheel trims, I held these in place with a special top hat type bracket fitted under two of the Wheel nuts and then used a stainless steel 2BA screw through the centre hole of the trim fixed to the bracket.

The PI Trims on a Vitesse Rim are a very close fit to the tyre and in heavy cornering they can come off, the Original Vitesse and GT6 Mk2 Ro-style trims are a slightly diferent Off-set to the PI ones and there is a gap between the Rim and the Wheel trim to prevent contact.

I'm thinking of putting the Steel Rims and Ro-styles back on my TR5 so will have a similar problem.

Need to get the Rims blasted/painted first and then some new Tyre's, a project for the Winter I reckon.

Edited by Gary Flinn

When I restored my Vitesse Mk2 I fitted the Original Wheels and Tyre's and some N.O.S. PI Ro-style Wheel trims, I held these in place with a special top hat type bracket fitted under two of the Wheel nuts and then used a stainless steel 2BA screw through the centre hole of the trim fixed to the bracket.

The PI Trims on a Vitesse Rim are a very close fit to the tyre and in heavy cornering they can come off, the Original Vitesse and GT6 Mk2 Ro-style trims are a slightly diferent Off-set to the PI ones and there is a gap between the Rim and the Wheel trim to prevent contact.

I'm thinking of putting the Steel Rims and Ro-styles back on my TR5 so will have a similar problem.

Need to get the Rims blasted/painted first and then some new Tyre's, a project for the Winter I reckon.

I'm reading this with interest as I've refurbed the existing wheel trims for the 5 that I'm restoring and wondering whether they will fall off when it finally gets on the road. I fitted new 185x70x15/Vredestiens and they look and feel pretty secure, but I guess it would be wise to tie wrap them just in case

best Bill

post-391-0-85494200-1443446377_thumb.jpg

I ran Rostyles on my original 4-1/2J wheels for years without them ever coming off. I recall that they would sometimes seem to be fully on when in fact one of the three tits wasn't fully covered, so some diligence is needed when fitting.

I note that the '69 TR6 5-1/2J wheel may not give as firm a grip on the hubcap as the extra length of the elongated pins makes them more flimsy :unsure: .

The rattling I had with mine was cured by fitting a bead of silicone inside the outermost lip of the hubcap ;) .

The runout on my wheels led me to convert to Panasports more than 20 years ago. I still have a couple of sets of the originals and (4) decent, but not concours hubcaps. The availability or period Silverstone replicas today make them a nice option to replace wobbly originals.

Cheers,

Tom

I've not tried fitting the Ro-styles on my Steel rims yet, I would imagine with them being originals and correct for the TR 5 that there will be a slight clearance between the Wheel Rim and the Ro-style Trim?

Does anyone know if the TR 250's had wider Steel Wheels than the TR 5?

The Handbook I have lists the TR 5 Steel rims at 4.5J x 15" with 165 section tyre's I thought the TR 250 had 185 section tyre's, presumably on a wider rim, 5.5J x 15" like the TR6?

Edited by Gary Flinn

Hi Gary,

TR250s all came with 4-1/2J wheels as did TR5s. 185 tyres will only work with tubes where the wider wheel doesn't need them. Only the '69 TR6 had the wider wheel with provision for the Rostyles. As it was not continuously welded about the centre disc like the later TR6 wheel it may win the prize for flimsiest of all the TR wheels. As I mentioned above, the longer hubcap mounting pins probably don't grip the dummy hubcap as well as the stubbier ones on the narrower wheel either.

There should be no gap between the hubcap and the wheel rim. Due to improper removal a gap often develops. Carefully pounding the dummy cap back into the assembly will usually rectify it.

I would check runout on stock 4-1/2J wheels before fitting new tyres. The factory tolerance of 0.040" TIR will give a noticeable shimmy, but few I've found were even that good.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm reading this with interest as I've refurbed the existing wheel trims for the 5 that I'm restoring and wondering whether they will fall off when it finally gets on the road. I fitted new 185x70x15/Vredestiens and they look and feel pretty secure, but I guess it would be wise to tie wrap them just in case

best Bill

Hi Bill,

Something is disturbing me, as fare I understand the standard tyre type & size for the TR250 is the Goodyear G800 185 HR 15 and the dimension equivalent/conversion should be 185/80 R15 (or 185 /82 R15 for the purist). For reference have a look on the original advertises publishing in on forul TCF (Do not hesitate to scroll, 3 pages in French but the documents are in English). http://triumph-club-de-france.forums-free.com/publicites-depoque-tr250-serie-hebdomadaire-t1336s25.html

You said you have 185/70 R15 is it a typo error or I am wrong on my interpretation / conversion?

I still learning !

Regards

Edited by Marc R

I have just put on a set of brand new Michelin 165HR15 XAS as were originally intended for the car and am now having the issues with the Rostyles so not sure if caused by new tyres or by the way the wheel trims have been removed and refitted by the tyre fitter.

Peter Goreham suggestion of tapping out the 3 points where the rim meets the "nipples" makes sense and I will check this when back from my travels. Thank you.

Marc,

The TR250s were built with 185-15 Goodyear G800s on 4-1/2J wheels. TR5s were built with 165-15s and had a different final drive ratio to compensate.

The Rostyle wheelcovers were to be removed using the special tool provided with the cars, reaching through the slots to the dummy hubcap behind and prying them off. A long handled flathead screwdriver works fine too.

Attempts to remove them from the outside edge always damage them. I have owned (11) of these over the years and only one shows no sign of being improperly removed. It was always possible to push them back enough to preload them against the rims for a tight fit.

It's been 25 years since my cars have worn them.

Cheers,

Tom

On the Heritage certificate for my TR5 it says it was fitted with 185 15's which goes against all I have heard!

I bought a rostyle wheel trim puller off of ebay the other day and it is supposed to be an original tool. It pulls the trim from nearer the middle and so does not damage the outer edge! I have not tried it!

Cheers John

Marc,

The TR250s were built with 185-15 Goodyear G800s on 4-1/2J wheels. TR5s were built with 165-15s and had a different final drive ratio to compensate.

The Rostyle wheelcovers were to be removed using the special tool provided with the cars, reaching through the slots to the dummy hubcap behind and prying them off. A long handled flathead screwdriver works fine too.

Attempts to remove them from the outside edge always damage them. I have owned (11) of these over the years and only one shows no sign of being improperly removed. It was always possible to push them back enough to preload them against the rims for a tight fit.

It's been 25 years since my cars have worn them.

Cheers,

Tom

+1 with you and your information (I made a typo error from 185 to 165 for the TR250 and I shall correct it on my post) . I faced the same observation (Rostyle wheelcovers removed using the wrong process by most of the owners - from outside edge) on few early TR6 PI CP.

Could you confirm the conversion Goodyear G800, 185 HR 15 for the TR250 is equivalent to 185/82 R15 et the Michelin ou Dunlop SP 165 - R15 for the TR5 is equivalent to 165/82 - R15 ?

Regards

I used the same method as recommended by Tom for removing the trims on my Vitesse, a long flat bladed screwdriver to lever the trim adjacent to the high point of the Wheel rim on the Vitesse?

I've heard stories of over zealous Tyre Fitters taking the Air Gun to the Dummy wheel nuts on the trims too!! :D:o

Hi Marc,

I believe you have it right on conversions between Michelin, Goodyear and Dunlop tyres. Note that slight variations in diameter exist between examples of the same nominal sizes; for instance the 180-15 Michelin XAS is closer in diameter to the Michelin Red Line 185-15 supplied on many U.S. cars as an option than the formerly ( no longer ) available 185-15 XAS.

If original size 185-15 tyres are being considered I have no doubt the best performing example will be the Michelin XVS which is still available ( at a very high price ). Similarly, the Michelin 165-15 XAS is still the best in its size, again at a premium price. The latter won't work with 6" wheels unfortunately, nor do the 185s work well with the 4-1/2" wheels ( tubes required ). Best of both worlds is the 5-1/2" wheel of the '70+ TR6.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Marc,

I believe you have it right on conversions between Michelin, Goodyear and Dunlop tyres. Note that slight variations in diameter exist between examples of the same nominal sizes; for instance the 180-15 Michelin XAS is closer in diameter to the Michelin Red Line 185-15 supplied on many U.S. cars as an option than the formerly ( no longer ) available 185-15 XAS.

If original size 185-15 tyres are being considered I have no doubt the best performing example will be the Michelin XVS which is still available ( at a very high price ). Similarly, the Michelin 165-15 XAS is still the best in its size, again at a premium price. The latter won't work with 6" wheels unfortunately, nor do the 185s work well with the 4-1/2" wheels ( tubes required ). Best of both worlds is the 5-1/2" wheel of the '70+ TR6.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks’ for the comments, very instructive.

What do you think about the Vredestein Classic serie 165HR 15 82 S (or 185/70 HR 15 89H) for a TR6 TR6 PI CP ’71 w/ original 5,5 inch wheels?

Note: I have 5 Vredestrein 185HR 14 90 H on my Stag and Ia m very happy with the overall performance on all conditions and consider this manufacturer for my TR6

Regards

Hi Marc,

Vredestein Classic have a good reputation on this forum. I have no experience with them but would be very interested to hear from any who have had these and the Michelin XAS both.

My experience is limited to Michelin Redline, Avon (?), Dunlop SP, Michelin XAS in the 185-15 size and Pirelli P400, Michelin Pilot Exalto in the 195/65 size. Of these, the Michelin XAS has superior grip. If it matters, this one is a tyre of the period and was advertised with a TR6 P.I. at least once. Also, the tread compound is hard and will give long service life if the wheels are properly aligned.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Bill,

Something is disturbing me, as fare I understand the standard tyre type & size for the TR250 is the Goodyear G800 185 HR 15 and the dimension equivalent/conversion should be 185/80 R15 (or 185 /82 R15 for the purist). For reference have a look on the original advertises publishing in on forul TCF (Do not hesitate to scroll, 3 pages in French but the documents are in English). http://triumph-club-de-france.forums-free.com/publicites-depoque-tr250-serie-hebdomadaire-t1336s25.html

You said you have 185/70 R15 is it a typo error or I am wrong on my interpretation / conversion?

I still learning !

Regards

Hi Marc

No not a typo - these are 185x70x15 Vredestiens. I also have these on my TR6 - very pleased with them in all weather conditions. The tyre circumference is very very close to the original. Just like the 195x65x15 - they are also very close. I've had Goodyear Fuldas before on the TR6 and can advise that in comparison to the Vredesteins, the Fuldas were quite heavy on the steering. I would guess by at least 20%. I have had so far. 2 sets of Fuldas and I'm on my 1st set of Vredesteins. So far about 10k miles and the wear rate looks very good.

Best Bill

Hi Bill,

Me too impressed by the performance and the handling with the Vredestiens (at least for the Stag). Vredestrein is not a budget option but for me a good compromise in terms of price compare to the expensive Michelin.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...