Restoration or put it out of it's missery?

HI, stumbled across this whilst looking around on E-Bay this morning.

Looks like it has collapsed under its own weight or pilled up in the shape of a car, might need a bit more than a light buffing and clean fluids. Not for the first time restorer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1966-Triumph-TR4a-Barn-Find-No-Reserve-/141778411672?hash=item2102a6e098

Mark

Not sure it's worth £560, unless that's for the V5 and vin plate.

Mark

Those knobs, switches, Dials, ashtray, grab handle, sun visors and brackets are probably worth that much. Edited by SuzanneH

Why would the buyer have to be responsible for pick up or delivery?

less embarrassing for the seller to have to sweep the car in to bins bang and get them delivered. Sold as seen buyers problem to bring their own brush and bags.

up to £1021 this morning, I must be missing something

Indeed it could be rebuilt into a quality car. But there would be nothing left of the original except a few meagre items.

It could be less messy simply starting with no car at all and work from there.

Roger

There speaks the voice of experience, you will need the bits I mentioned though..............

Under the rules of reconstruction starting with an existing car and engine at least you have the basis for a legitimate matching numbers UK RHD TR4A IRS which by the time its done up as a private project (labour of love) with parts sourced on ebay and auto jumbles I reckon you could spend an agreeable winter rebuilding her and happily spend 18K+ on parts and paint giving you a nice car to own or sell as a ground up restoration at current prices of £30k+

I would say its worth £2.5K all day long on that basis.

Charles

Edited by cotswold

Hi Pete,

that chassis is precious . . . . . . the cautious optimism of the written description is not matched by the photographs, which illustrate the sort of mortal remains which are likely to be rejected by the average scrapyard, on the basis that they deal with the recycling of metal as opposed to oxides thereof . . . . .

Methinks a visit to Specsavers would be in order, to replace the rose-tinted optical accessories of the seller . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Has anyone sold or know of someone paying 30k for a 4a its seems very strong money !
Nick

Not quite, but Brightwells for example have had a couple sell in the high twenties, so £30k is probably only a matter of time................

But I agree that the project's viable up to around £2k for a DIY resto.

Hagerty's valuation gives £32k for a concours, which seems reasonable, but some of their other values seem a bit erratic, e.g. 'fair' E Type roadster £97k, ditto Series One Landie £12k, yet Consul Capri much too low @ £9k for concours.

http://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/classiccarvalue?nst=0&gclid=CJy2j-m9lcgCFUHnwgodRswMpA

Edited by Superaquarama

There are a few sellers looking for over £30k for 4A

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/detail/motors/classic-cars/triumph/tr4a/125320

This one is on sale for £34,995 and you can see the high prices in the glassy car mags, just saying.

Charles

For that money, I'd expect not to have an indicator stalk wrapped with insulating tape, as well as a pukka crankcase vent. And that steering wheel is plain fugly. Shouldn't a concours car have the decals on the column shroud?

Nice clean car, but £35k????

Pete