TR3A dashboard re-fitting

Can anyone help me - I am rebuilding a TR3 which I bought in pieces. Can anyone advise how best to fit the dashboard. Any photos would be more than appreciated.

I also have 2 brackets (see photos below) which came with the car and suspect that I should be using them to support the dashboard.

Thanks in advance

g.makowski@gmail.com

post-13493-0-92495900-1443081939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zbigmak

Installing the dashboard is pretty straightforward, there are studs under the edge of the scuttle that secure the dashboard. It gets a little complicated where the steering support bracket is attached at the rear as the dash, the steering support bracket and the air vent all need to be engaged on the studs before you bolt it up. We didnt see any pictures with your post but if you have two brackets about 10 inches long, those are the heater support brackets and between the dashboard and the brackets on the rear of the battery box.

This is a LHD 1960 TR3A:

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/foster461/slideshow/TR3A%20restoration%20project/16%20March%202011%20Under%20Dash

Stan

Zbigmak,

My experience was that the installation of the dashboard is not easy unless a given sequence is followed (at least so did it work for me).

I wrote the different steps, but unfortunately in Spanish. I can translate the text if you need it, but will not be able to do it before a couple of days.

Jesus

Zbigmak,

My experience was that the installation of the dashboard is not easy unless a given sequence is followed (at least so did it work for me).

I wrote the different steps, but unfortunately in Spanish. I can translate the text if you need it, but will not be able to do it before a couple of days.

Jesus

Good point Jesus, if the question is the assembly order for the dashboard and all the stuff behind it then that needs a more detailed answer. I still have the details that Stuart posted a couple of years ago, that sequence worked well for me.

(Posted by Stuart in the TR3 forum)
First step is steering column and loosely assemble the support brackets, then complete wiper set up, windshield washers, then the drain tube for the vent flap (If fitted) then the O/drive relay (again if fitted)
Next is the wiring loom just loosely laid in. then the main dash support brackets and the main heater unit then the oil pressure pipe.
Next is main dash panel (Trimmed but nothing fitted to it .) and the demister pipes and tubes.
Now you can finish bolting the column support brackets up.
Next thread the main wire for the vent flap through and fix to vent flap mechanism (Again if fitted) but do not attach the knob yet.
Feed the centre instrument part of the loom through the centre hole in the dash panel ready to wire the centre switch panel up.
Fit the switches to the centre panel and the ammeter and fuel gauge then wire these to the loom along with the ignition light and indicator light and dash bulbs with the centre panel just sitting on the bottom of its aperture in the main panel but leaning out to allow access to the rear. (Fiddly job but there is never much length on the looms to allow you to have it very far out).
Then carefully thread the water temp capillary through the centre panel and round the left side of the heater and then through the bulkhead into the engine bay, fit the gauge to the panel.
Fit the oil pressure gauge and choke cable into the centre panel and then bring the panel nearly up into place and fit the oil pressure pipe to the back of the gauge not forgetting the leather washer.
Feed the choke cable through the bulkhead
Then fit the centre gauge panel into place with the 4 wing nuts not forgetting to attach the earth cables and being careful of the temperature gauge capillary and the choke cable fouling the heater matrix.
Now fit the cable to the fan rheostat and fit to dash panel and then fit the O/drive switch.
Next fit Speedo and Rev counter not forgetting the panel light bulbs and main beam warning light and the earth leads to the mounting screws.
Then fit the glove box buffer bracket and the stay bracket.
Now fit the glove box lid and stay and lastly the glove box and support bracket.
Lastly fit the dash top roll and the vent flap knob and lift the dot fasteners (later cars) or Tenax studs (early cars)
Thats a bit of a rough guide but always be careful wiring the early type screw connector switches especially repro ones as the screws are sometimes sharp enough to cut through the end of the cable if over tightened.
Stuart.
Edited by foster461

Installing the dashboard is pretty straightforward, there are studs under the edge of the scuttle that secure the dashboard. It gets a little complicated where the steering support bracket is attached at the rear as the dash, the steering support bracket and the air vent all need to be engaged on the studs before you bolt it up. We didnt see any pictures with your post but if you have two brackets about 10 inches long, those are the heater support brackets and between the dashboard and the brackets on the rear of the battery box.

This is a LHD 1960 TR3A:

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/foster461/slideshow/TR3A%20restoration%20project/16%20March%202011%20Under%20Dash

Stan

Stan pictures attached to the original posting now!

The two brackets go from the flanges on the back of the battery box to the dash, If your car is L/hand drive then the left hand bracket in the picture goes to the left side with the small right angle bracket at the rear as that is the rear support for the glove box and the right hand bracket is on the right side with that steady bar attaching to the steering column main support bracket.

Jesus I forgot I had posted that well done to Stan for finding it.

Stuart.

Stan pictures attached to the original posting now!

The LH one in the pic came from the passenger side as it still has glove box rear support rt angled bracket attached. The drivers side has the threaded steering collum support.

The go from back of battery box to the dash and the heater sits on them.

The photobucket pics that Stan has added are good but be aware the battery box is completely missing!

Cheers

Peter W

EDIT - Stuart must have been typing as I was......

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 3 years later...
13 minutes ago, Frank K said:

I also was baffled with the install of the dashboard. The photographs and advice given here are top flight.  Thanks to all who contributed. 

Welcome Frank. Does that mean you are approaching the end of a project ?

Stan