The horn in my 3A stopped working recently. I checked all of the obvious things. The horns do sound when connected by a jumper wire to the battery. The fuse is OK. All of the earthing points are clean and tight. The wiring to the horns is OK as there is a constant 12V at the horns. I isolated the NB wire coming from the steering column harness and connected my digital multi-meter to it (on the ohm scale) and to earth and then pushed the horn button. The meter reads inf. or open circuit. I have heard of situations where the horn circuit would short out and the horn would sound during a turn or with heavy torque on the wheel. However, I was not aware that they could fail as an open circuit. So it appears that the horn push contacts are not making contact or there is a loose or broken wire in the NB wire circuit. Incidentally, the turn indicators are working correctly.

This car has clocked a few thousand miles since a complete restoration in 2012 and has been garaged ever since. The control head was new from TRF when installed. This car has an adjustable steering wheel. In order to further diagnose this problem does the control head have to be removed? Is there anything in particular that I can/should check.

Thanks, Frank

Hi Frank - Just under the horn button, after you have taken it apart, is a round copper ring and if this has become tarnished, then it won't make contact. I have also had one or more wires break where they are screwed into the upper rear inner plate.

Thanks Don. That's what I thought. Can this be repaired in the car?

Frank