TR 2 seat backrest trimming.

I am trying to fit new seat covers, suplied by Moss, to new seat frames, supplied by Rimmers, and am finding the backrest covers are far too wide at the 10 past 10 o'clock positions.

There is around 1" spare material around the edge of the back at both sides ( dare I call them 'love-handles" )

I have fitted new horsehair matting, with 2" folded over and glued as the books suggest, and have tried to pad out the empty edges with foam and wadding, but am not getting a good fit without wrinkles and a straight seam.

The last TR2 I had, with original seats, had the same problem with some used covers I was given, so I ended up making my own covers from new hide, which I made to fit well.

Before I am forced to partially dismantle the new covers and re-sew the piping, I wondered if there are two shapes of seat backrest?, maybe have the wrong covers for the seat frames.

or

do others experience this problem when they re-trim their TR2 seatbacks?, if so how have you cured this misfitting?

Cheers

Mike

hi,

It seems your tr2's have later style seats.

The TR2 seats have a much wider backrest than the later seats, which explains the wide covers.

theres a post on the forum about the seats, will look it up.

Here it is, actually my own post ;)

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/46019-triumph-seats-tr2-vs-tr3-and-later/?p=365147

Edited by EdwinTiben

Like Edwin says TR2 seat backs are wider than 3/3a ones so sounds as if you have the right covers and the wrong seat, are both fixed seat frames as they should be for a 2 or is one folding (3/3a type).

Stuart.

All I know about seat trimming is that the padding, wadding, foam or whatever must be

about 1inch bigger all round than the cover.

If not they will be saggy.

You will then find its pretty hard-work to get the cover over.

Here I get tough to get a 4A base into the cover:

8883650444_af995539f4_k.jpg

It did work though:

9320757867_8506548563_b.jpg

I do know a few more upholstery tricks if you can't get 'em right.

Edited by AlanT