Fuel tank / wide wheels

Evening everyone

I'm looking to buy a fuel tank for my TR6 that would allow a 7" spare wheel to be kept in the boot.

I know that Racetorations do a tank that they say accommodates a 7" spare (it looks like it has a recess at the bottom), but it is a bit more expensive than other tanks on the market and I'm keen to know what other options are before I buy.

Would I have trouble fitting a 7" spare in if I just went for a standard capacity tank? Does any one else sell a tank like the Racetorations one?

Grateful for your collective wisdom!!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Andy Wiltshire's website

http://www.andywiltshire.com/Triumph%20TR%20Tanks.htm

I've inspected some of his work closely in the past, and he utilised one of my cars some years ago when he was designing his TR7/8 tanks - I'm only an hour away from him, and I happened to have a car over my pit with axle and tank removed when he was looking for assistance via this Forum. Only time I've ever met him. Excellent craftsman, and his alloy welding appears as good as I've ever seen, F1 standard.

His tanks are not cheap, but in this instance I reckon you get what you pay for - compare one of Andy's tanks with one from the usual suspects, chalk and cheese. Doesn't get any better as far as I'm concerned.

Whilst you're at it, if you haven't already done so then fit a firewall between tanks and passenger compartment whilst you have the opportunity.- this can be literally a lifesaver in a serious collision, and stiffens the whole bodyshell significantly, to the benefit of ride comfort and handling alike.

Usual disclaimers.

Cheers

Alec