Lightweight Battery

Whilst my 4a is away getting a new engine, I'm thinking to replace the standard lead acid battery with a modern Li-ion one. On my new motorcycle a Li-ion replacement battery saved me 3.7Kg (the original weighed 4.6Kg). Should look neater too..

Anyone done the same?

A second part to my question (seeing as my car's not here to look at) is what's the standard battery spec' please?

Thx.

I would be concerned about how you charge it...meaning alternator or dynamo... these modern technologies are less tolerant of massive abuse..... The old dynamo and control box achieves an ón average'charging rate with some pretty ugly pulses in the 0-18V range. This is especially true in a scenario where the battery is heavily discharged...after leaving the lights on or cranking it for a while... good old lead acid will absorb this abuse whereas Gel/Calcium/Lion can gas & heat up with irreversible consequences. If you have a modern Alternator and its voltage matches your battery (all battery tech is not 13.8) then you are good.

Mark

The other issue that I learnt from my experience using a lightweight battery in my TR4 is that they won't support a lot of modern gizmo's and tend to drain more rapidly - depends on how much you spend of course, but unless you're going racing I would suggest sticking with a traditional modern wet battery.

My very expensive but supposedly middle of the cost range red top lasted about an hour with lamps, spots, wipers, trips and heater on before the voltage started to drop. The heated front screen killed it very quickly to the point that I had 10 minutes every hour only with that.

Regards

Tony

Hi Mark,

not sure of the spec but have a look at the Halfords HB072 (standard) or HBC072 (calcium) these are Bosch batteries and work/last very well.

Roger

PO fitted the halfords Calcium to my car when it wouldn't start for me to view it!

Has performed faultlessly for 3 years now.

( and yes that will no doubt jinx the whole thing Roger!)

Steve

Mark

The other issue that I learnt from my experience using a lightweight battery in my TR4 is that they won't support a lot of modern gizmo's and tend to drain more rapidly - depends on how much you spend of course, but unless you're going racing I would suggest sticking with a traditional modern wet battery.

My very expensive but supposedly middle of the cost range red top lasted about an hour with lamps, spots, wipers, trips and heater on before the voltage started to drop. The heated front screen killed it very quickly to the point that I had 10 minutes every hour only with that.

Regards

Tony

Did a heated screen on a performance cooper s some while back and fitted a relay/timer. Gave 10 mins heating then cut off automatically. That saved the battery drain a bit.

Peter W

I have had an odyssey PC680 on since June. (road car) it has worked perfectly thus far including a 500 mile trip round Wales with heater; wipers and lights on during some 2hr plus journeys. Although it's not been through a winter yet. It saved 14kg. Car (TR6) now weighs 1020kg with spare, jack and couple of tools on board.

I have had an odyssey PC680 on since June. (road car) it has worked perfectly thus far including a 500 mile trip round Wales with heater; wipers and lights on during some 2hr plus journeys. Although it's not been through a winter yet. It saved 14kg. Car (TR6) now weighs 1020kg with spare, jack and couple of tools on board.

Thank You Stephen - very helpful indeed.

I had a Odyssey Extreme 25 (PC680) on a 4.0l TR7 V8 (rally car) which look scarily small for such a big engine but worked well, even recovering after running flat after too much cranking one day with a fault. After a few minutes and the ignition rectified the battery had recovered enough to restart. After that I actually upgraded the battery to an Odyssey Extreme 35 (PC925).

My other current TR7 V8 with a 4.0l V8 also runs a Odyssey 35 and runs all modern electrical systems without missing a beat over the last couple of years.

The spare Odyssey 25 from the TR7 rally car will actually be going into my TR4 this week so will see how it behaves. Just had to purchase a pair of battery cable connectors to screw onto the M6 threads on the Odyssey. The TR4 has an uprated alternator and high-torque starter so should be ideal for a modern light weight battery.