Crank end float

Good morning guys, I need some advice / guidance re my crank end float.

I am getting ready to put my engine back on the chassis but before I do this thought I should measure the end float as the engine is on an engine stand with the sump off ( before I started my resto the engine was running as sweet as a nut )anyway yesterday I measured the end float and found it to 0.008" which I believe is the top limit.

Do you think I should have some thrust washers manufactured to reduce this float and if so who would you recomend I get to do this ?

Many thanks in advance

Nigel (Nibbo)

Hi Nigel

It's worth doing especially as you have good access. I can recommend Scott Helms in the USA. He manufactures them to whatever thickness you want. And they are also wider than the stock items offering more contact area!

I thought $60 including postage was very reasonable.

www.customthrustwashers.com

No link just a very satisfied customer!

Edited by daven

+1 for Scott

Scott's thrust washer is the top one

Before and if you decide to go with Scott it would be advisable to buy two new standard thrust washers fit them and measure end float again .

This eliminates the wear on your old thrust washers and gives you a true measurement for Scott to work to

Mark.

Edited by Mark69

Hi Mark and Dave,

Thanks for your very prompt replies and advice which I will be taking up.

Nigel

Nigel

Whilst you have the sump off. It may be worth considering new shells on the mains and big ends!

I got mine from Revingtons, again I believe the better quality items.