from across the pond.....

Having looked at repatriating "something interesting" from the USA, I've bought this from ebay.com.

Should be at Southampton Docks mid October - Interesting first time experience importing a car.

Have I chosen wisely ? well......

bought after a couple of beers,on the basis of a few pics and scant description, non runner ("but was running well when put away 25 years ago...") russet brown !

What can possible go wrong !

Its a 1974 model (that'll be 100HP then) said to be very solid in the right places.

$3200 plus shipping !

post-13669-0-77711700-1441983964_thumb.jpg

post-13669-0-85455000-1441983976_thumb.jpg

post-13669-0-22763000-1441983993_thumb.jpg

post-13669-0-24878800-1441984006_thumb.jpg

post-13669-0-79474900-1441984024_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattyb

A 74...you'll need this. If one day the engine doesn't start because the starter doesn't work, look at the "seatbelt module" wires.

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

This might come in handy, too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2H2NJt34OffY2VlYTlkZmMtM2M3Yy00NTNkLTgzNDItOThiYjg5Njg5NWZi/view

Edited by poolboy

Hello Poolboy

that's very helpful - thank you - I've had a Haynes manual for over 10 years now (but no TR6) and have just bought "how to restore tr5 /tr6 " by Roger Williams - Great book

thanks again

Matt

Can you give us some idea of the costs for shipping a car from the US?

Thanks

Bruce

Hello Bruce

The trucking from North Carolina to New York (approx 550 miles) and Shipping (shared container) from New York to Southampton including US customs was $1500 US Dollars.

At the UK the shippers costs will be £400 approx which will cover unloading Customs clearance and NOVA -plus 5% VAT on the cost of the car and the shipping cost (BTI9705)

I'd done some research but until I spoken to the UK shipper, who clarified the Customs "red tape" I was to be honest, not sure what Customs and VAT I would pay.

The cars now at New York

If you want any more details or info please just ask

regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

Which shippers did you use in the USA and UK please?

Thanks

Graham

Hello Graham

CFR Rinkens LLC

15501 Texaco Avenue

Paramount, CA 90723

Office: 310-223-0474 x 2160 | Direct Line: 310-294-8494 | Fax: 323-999-5148

Email: mrobles@cfrrinkens.com

Mark Cowley - Kingstown Shipping Ltd

Ferry Berth | King George Dock | Hull | HU9 5PS

Tel: +44 (0)1482 374116 | Fax: +44 (0)1482 711997

mark.cowley@kingstownshipping.co.uk

Internet: www.kingstownshipping.co.uk

Rinkens in the US and Kingstown in the UK

I approached Rinkens first, who then recommended Kingstown who they are affiliated with.

Mark Cowley of Kingstown is very, very helpful.

I've been rather naive in my approach to this ! on reflection I should have approached Kingstown first as they would have been able to explain the process from the outset.

The variable is the cost of trucking the car from within the US to your chosen port - New York ships to Southampton which will make collecting the car easy for me once its cleared UK customs.

To expand on the US costs :- $850 shipping, $575 trucking and $75 insurance (they seem to have waived to "non runner" fee of $25 which seems cheaper than other quotes I received).

I've also been lucky with the seller - a retired gent and his brother who like to dabble in buying and selling cars - they have been very helpful and honest from the start.

Just hoping the car turns out to be half as good as I'm hoping it will be !

Cheers

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

well the 6 is on its way - due in Southampton on the 18th of this month sailing via Antwerp - can track the ship ( the JPO Taurus ) on http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Container ships are really not that pretty !

post-13669-0-28516000-1444085030_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattyb

Probably goes without saying, but keep copies -- or take snapshots -- of any and all original paperwork. It might come in useful later.

One of our correspondents here on the forum let some of the original US paperwork go in the early 90s when his car came across the water, only years later to realize he missed out on a chance to trace owners back in the states. In his excitement to get the car (understandable) he didn't realize how irreplaceable some of the original US documents were. Since registration numbers change all the time for vehicles over here, those old documents might be the only route available to tracking a car's history.

Looks like a nice project, by the way. There's a fair amount of work needed, but it all looks very do-able.

Great project started in the way many great projects have ...over a beer. Very interested in reading the story keep it going please and good luck.

Charles

Many thanks for comments - Have just won a UK spec rear bumper on ebay for £78 ! which is my first purchase ( have made a long list of parts that will probably be required) I had told my self to focus on the mechanical side of things first, but was I'm keen to change the US spec bumpers, we all like a bit of bling !

the bumper will probably turn up before the 6 does !

Regards

Matt