Facet fuel pump - RIP

What do you reckon the expected life of a Facet fuel pump should be?

I've just replaced one on TS18418. It was first installed in October 1990 and has had a hard life rallying first in the engine bay and then relocated to the boot where it didn't suffer from cavitation/vapour lock.

Incidentally the price has nearly doubled in the intervening years!

Ben

I think that's pretty reasonable on both longevity and price increases

I just put one in my 4 so will be very happy if it lasts that long

Graze

Yes, that is my conclusion too! :) The filter was full of gunk and the magnet in the base had been working overtime with the rust from the tank. Yet more expense as I suspect a new tank wont be far behind the replacement pump!

If you have found a lot of gunk in the system I would replace the tank first, no fuel pump likes trying to pump anything other than clean fuel.

Stuart.

Well since it was installed the pump has survived 2 x Monte Carlo Challenges plus a dozen more rallies. The PO was "disappointed" that it had failed when I met up with him last week!

The fuel system has a pre-filter fitted before the pump's own internal filters and it is easy to drop them out and clean them but Stuart I note your recommendation!

So few moving parts that there cabe little to wear out.

But there is a rubber Oring that probably not compatible with modern fuels.

Viton rings are availbale. I got one from my local bering factor and he wouldnt even charge me!

John

Edited by john.r.davies