Electrics question

Happily driving home I noticed the temperature gauge dropping to the end stop. Then fuel gauge doing the same thing. My guess would be the voltage regulator. Do the experts agree? If so where does one buy a voltage regulator that will work reliably? JJC

Hi JJ,

the VR is the common denominator. The original design worked well for many years. Not sure if repro's are up to it. But may be worth a try.

Check out the wiring loom before you rip it apart.

The solidstate regulators on ebay should work but are sadly lacking in a few components that would make them work reliably.

You could always get a 1amp 10V regulator from Maplin and make your own.

If you do put a 100uf capacitor form its input to earth and a 0.1uf capacitor from its out put to earth - this should ensure it survives.

Roger

The solidstate regulators on ebay should work but are sadly lacking in a few components that would make them work reliably.

Naturally ! Solid state electronics seem to me notoriously unreliable.

In our house we have 4 electric towel rails. Two are approx. 35 years old with mechanical thermostats, and have worked unfailingly year in, year out. The other two are "electronic", one lasted 2 years before the 'stat failed, the second has just given up this week, having lasted 4 years. We also have a similar age mechanical timer clock (plugs into a socket) which continues to work perfectly, having seen off half a dozen digital ones in the meantime. Same goes for washing machines, electric blankets, you name it - if it's electronic it's guaranteed to fail.

Edited by Superaquarama

Did you ever notice you are sourrounded by explosives in your daily driver

all controlled by electronics as there is the ABS system, also controlled by a

little computer and many cars have electric PAS, what is controlled by a

computer, too.

Many things in this modern cars electronics can be set and changed by OBD2 interface

as there is the steering going more right or left in neutral.

With no doubt there are many mistakes being made when mounting electronics

into our old cars but I would never like to miss my engine control and thief

protection with central locking device and remote control.

They are pretty reliable when done right.

I have that in use for now about 15 years and it works!

The regulators are pretty cheap: I paid 2 Euros for 10 items

http://www.ebay.de/itm/310163013694?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also needed are the condensers:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/252046255252?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

... and some glue to bring that all into the original regulator housing.

A complete build of such an reliable electronic regulator is about 2 Euros each and 20 minutes of work.

With the condensers it is reliable.

Edited by TriumphV8

My response to the same questions in another topic:

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

Better to us a "Voltage transient Suppressor" these are very fast acting diodes which will protect the regulator from damage by over voltage.

I used to design electonic circuits for use in a range of vehicles from cars to tractors to ships, & these were always specified. A capacitor will smooth out the transient to some extent, a TVS will clip it.

https://en.wikipedia...tage_suppressor

Bob.

Hi Bob,

my background is aero engine/airframe but have dabbled with sparks.

From what I gathered the capacitors on the VR are to stop 'ringing' - which will give a rapid current rise. (this may be incorrect)

The TVS will certainly remove any serious high spikes.

Roger

I have opened up these electronic regulators.

There are at least two completely different designs.

Both suffer from insufficient heat-sinking, needed for a linear regulator rather than a switching-regulator.

You could make electronic switching regulators, like the original mechanical switching type, but they wont fit in the tiny box.

The problem comes when your tank is full and your engine is hot. Now both gauges take a lot of current at the same time.

A cheap fix is to use TWO cheap regulators one for each gauge. Needs a bit of rewiring of course.

The Moss ones seem about the best to me.

Now Steve, you know you shouldn't have said that!!

You will need to carry a spare in your tool box from now on.

Roger

Bugger.

Had to send the brand new Ducati back today, not for one of its many electronic systems though but for the hydraulic clutch being all graunchy.

Italian product made in August, how stupid of me!

Steve

Not only that - the flasher unit has now failed. It's a Moss unit like the one in the 2 that failed a couple of months ago. I only have one original which I bodged to put in the 2. (Converted to screw connection). The electronic one I bought has the wrong polarity. Do you think my 1954 soldering iron will be useful or should I just get a big hammer? JJC

Hi JJ,

I gave up on those tin can flashers and now use a modernish one - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/626/12-volt-4-pin-electronic-flasher-relay

It has a separate earth tag and you will need the socket to anchor it with.

As for the hammer - that is only used on things that should move and don't

If it does move and it shouldn't then use Duct tape.

Roger

Hello JJC,

I got a solid state one from TRGB. With wires already attached and clear instructions and It works perfectly.

TRGB advertise in TRAction and do quick mail order

Best regards,

Willie Felger

Right, the new shocker link arrived and fitted(with expert help to get the taper off the shock absorber). Actually the expert fitted it too. And the electronic flasher unit arrived. I checked with the supplier about the reverse polarity issue. They weren't 100%sure. Anyone know for sure if you can just swap earth and rail? It's 50 years since I did any electronics. I'm not sure it was even called that then. JJC

The original stabilser isn't electronic - it is only just electrical.

I believe it works on a thermal bi-metal strip that allows 12v through.

Then the strip heats up and opens the connection where upon the output volts drop to zero 0V.

The strip cools down and remakes the connection. This 12V, 0V, 12v caper gives a lower average volts (apprx 10V).

Reversing the connection of an original should not be a problem.

The electronic version reduces the 12V down to 10V and it stays there.

Roger

PS - only reverse the input and earth. Leave the output as the output.

Edited by RogerH