Triumph TR8 wheels buying replacement suggestions?

I currently have 13 x 6J gold minilites but....tyre choice is pretty minimal these days (205/60/13) so thinking of changing to maybe MGTF type wheels 15 or 16" maybe.

If I could find a set of nice Revolution 15's for decent money I'd probably go down that route but economically the MG path seems most economical.

Any suggestions?

I don't have a 7, but the hubs are the same PCD as the small Triumphs (Spit/Herald/Vitess/GT6) which might expand your search.

MGF/TF wheels are the same PCD and spigot diameter. The offset might need adjusting with slim spacers. You wil need to upgrade your studs with longer 12mm ones - not a bad thing as will be much stronger than standard weedy objects. Landrover part CLP9037L works well. On the Spitfire at least you need to drill a hole in the brake backplate to install them as too long to fit without removing hub. Canley Classics also supply.

The MG wheelnuts are not the standard chamfered variety but have a weird bull-nose profile - make sure you get the correct ones.

You could just locate a single wheel/tyre combo to try before committing - they are pretty easy to get hold of.

Jerry

Mgf wheels are probably the most practical and economical at the moment with sets available from about £50 from MGF breakers.

Please note the pcd is not the same as the small Triumphs and you will need the wheel nuts from the MG.

Cheers Ian

Please note the pcd is not the same as the small Triumphs

If that is true they won't fit a TR7 then as I have a set on my Hurricane (Spitfire axles) - but I think you are wrong.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jo the cat

I hope you are not saying what I think you are.

Sounds extremely dangerous to me and I am sure your insurer would have a view on it if you was unlucky enough to be involved in an "incident"

KC

I have gone for an interpretive solution which appears to split opinions...

I love it..now has Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres all round and AVO rear Coilover shocks.

which have served to er...firm up the suspension somewhat...ahem..

post-12395-0-66182500-1445855527_thumb.jpg

Please note the pcd is not the same as the small Triumphs

If that is true they won't fit a TR7 then as I have a set on my Hurricane (Spitfire axles) - but I think you are wrong.

Jerry

The four studs on my 1980 TR7 have a larger diameter than those on my 1969 Vitesse. Heralds/Vitesse/Spits/GT6 all have the same smaller studs.

Dave