Alternative heater valve

Here you go - did mine last month with the help of a friend supplying the valve...............

I copied this, except for making the loop on the end of the cable, (had a go but not very pleased with outcome) instead I crimped a ring terminal of suitable size to the end of the cable.

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/HeaterValve.htm

You can check it out here in the CVTR newsletter

Cheers

Ian

Thank you everyone!

I just finished installing the Everco heater valve. It was a very simple process thanks to all the advice and the posts. It was a just drop in part, and no need to drain any coolant. I had to work in the hose as the diameters were a little different, nothing a little muscle conviction couldn't handle. For now I've looped the cable, but I think I will crimp in a ring so it looks nicer. Total job: 27 minutes ????

For my Canadian friends, the part is available at Lordco but under the name "Four Season" which is the company that owns/makes Everco parts. The part number is still 74648 and is readily available. It is made for the old AMC cars (?!). I paid CA$ 42.86 including PST/GST.

Again thanks for all the help.

Now, if I could figure out why I don't have any brake lights.... Grrrrr!

Edited by Alibs555
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the Four Seasons (part no. 74648) branded version from the US and avoided the dreaded taxes/handling fee for once, so very pleased.

There's no comparison between this valve and the aftermarket stuff available from the usual suspects here.

Recommended.

Andrew

• 1 year later...

This is the one I've got (4 seasons 74648) through Amazon, just needs some thread sealant and I'm good to go, one thing, does it just screw down to the correct orientation?

• 6 months later...
On 9/7/2015 at 9:12 PM, foster461 said:

Still hard to beat this jeep valve, drop in replacement.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Hi Foster,

What type of clip did you use on yours? Theone on the photo looks like an electric connector. Thanks, Fernando.

BTW, I just ordered one of the valves on Amazon and they now ship to UK.

This is what you need an electrical connector, it's from the highest amp electrical block connector with the outer plastic removed, might need to just open it up a little with a drill. 

1014198150_2019-01-2019_00_43.thumb.jpg.3988c998e1438bf6773a41c778f21708.jpg

27 minutes ago, MadArgy said:

Hi Foster,

What type of clip did you use on yours? Theone on the photo looks like an electric connector. Thanks, Fernando.

BTW, I just ordered one of the valves on Amazon and they now ship to UK.

Yes Fernado, it is just a ring terminal that I crimped and soldered onto the end of the heater valve cable. No modification to the cable so easily undone if needed. I liked that better than just bending the end of the cable (solid wire really).

Stan

3 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

This is what you need an electrical connector, it's from the highest amp electrical block connector with the outer plastic removed, might need to just open it up a little with a drill. 

1014198150_2019-01-2019_00_43.thumb.jpg.3988c998e1438bf6773a41c778f21708.jpg

That is very neat. We dont have those connectors over here, the US prefers to twist wires together and cover them with a plastic wire nut.

Stan

I used a crimped-on ring connector with mine.... the action is so smooth on the valve that it works a treat. (The cut down block connector is also a good idea)

.....Andy 

1 hour ago, foster461 said:

That is very neat. We dont have those connectors over here, the US prefers to twist wires together and cover them with a plastic wire nut.

Wire nuts. Ok to use on 480VAC over 100 amps I think. Always wrap PVC tape around it, be sure to stretch to break. 

Use them on a 12VDC 20A car and people call you Spawn of Gash. Scotch loks for me.  Cheers, Iain

• 1 year later...

There are detailed instructions with photos on how to fit this valve on the Danielson's website (a great source of tips IMHO), including a dead simple and neat way to attach the wire.

The page is located at : http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/HeaterValve.htm

Connection.jpg.2b5ffb5b3adda0f20fd7ae7febd67566.jpg