Honeybourne surrey

Had some info from Honeybourne which looks quite encouraging, I didn't realise that their top comes ready to drop on, with the rear window & anodised mouldings, seals, etc. already fitted. Cost for backlight is £295, lid £270, total £565, but would still need the soft top and frame. This is as against £2500 or so for an original surrey.

Quite tempting, so one would like to ask:

• Is the Perspex window much of a disadvantage as opposed to glass ? Must be lighter, if nothing else, but does it scratch in normal use, or become opaque ?
  • Is it correct that a grp rear frame isn't happy with a glass rear window ?
  • 8 holes have to be drilled in the rear panel - does this also apply to a factory backlight ?
  • And are said holes concealed if a soft top is fitted ? Talking TR4A here

Thanks,

Anthony

Edited by Superaquarama

Provided your not silly with it then the perspex window is fine and will last a long time, it can be polished up too.

I wouldnt try fitting a glass rear window if you are using a new laminated glass as the top centre section of the frame isnt really that stiff and so any downwards pressure (leaning on it) would crack a laminated glass, probably OK with the original toughened as they are stronger. It would need to be bonded in.

Your rear panel should have the necessary 5 holes in it already but they will (If original) have a captive nut under each which will have already been in use for the rear softop fixing rail. They will need drilling out.

If you have original forward deck extensions then in the case of TR4 you will have the captive nut in the very forward end of the deck( To take a bolt or preferably a stud) and a hole halfway back on each side.

If fitting to a 4a then same applies for the forward captive nut but as the deck extension is waisted for the later type hood frame then you will need to grind off the forward stud on each side of the frame (You will have to drill the frame for the very forward studs as they arent drilled from the factory.

When fitting you may well have to re-align the windscreen and the side windows.

Stuart.

• 1 year later...

Possibly a silly question but I've no experience with surrey type roofs.......

Is it a straight drop on swap (once 3 extra holes drilled) from soft top to Honeybourne Surrey backlight then back again to soft roof on a 4a?

I'm not clear on what the 'forward stud' is described above but essentially I would want hard roof in winter and soft in summer,

I realise others tend to just leave the surrey all year round but I most definately would want both options through the year without spending an

entire day farting around each time.

Thanks

Colt

Hi Colt,

once you have tried a surrey top you will not want to go back to a rag top.

The Surrey realy is the best of both worlds - Hard and soft in one package.

If you want to go hard top why not investigate a proper hard top rather than the Surrey.

Roger

I do Pete. I need to go in a Surrey topped car to experience it I think but I know that I love the whole open top experience

with hair blowing in every direction, my girlfriend on the other hand may disagree! I've been in a 911 targa and that didnt quite feel the same.

What hard top options are there Roger other than the TR6 lid?

Honeybourne do a one piece version of the Surrey with roof and rear section all in one.Quick fit version usually favoured by the race boys.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

If possible go to the Honeybourne factory to inspect the quality of the gel coat finish and to check the fitment of the lid onto the outer front edges of the windscreen frame on your car.