Cockpit fumes.......

Evening all,

I'm sure I'm not the 1st person to query this, but having recently purchased a TR6 I am struggling with engine/exhaust/fuel fumes in the cockpit, so much so, that we end up with streaming eyes and headaches etc.

The boot seal has been replaced, the exhaust changed to a standard and the grommets sealed if looking flaky - what else do you suggest?

There are a lot of posts on this but not sure how you search.

I had the same problem ,then it just went away ,but I do have a CO monitor in the car. :)

I think I had a loose silencer, we fixed it and OK since.

There have been many posts on this problem over the years. Anyone who keeps old TRActions will even find an article by me moaning about the smell. Some things seem to make it worse. If your car hasn't been set up by someone who knows what they're doing then the odds are it will be fumey. A recent thread suggested that exhaust systems that don't exit close to the edge of the car may have a problem. When our 6 goes back together I'll be replacing the "sports" exhaust with something that exits at the edge. JJC

Hi,

I recently started the thread; TR6 Exhaust fumes / airflows over bodywork; for similar reasons to yours, fumes, headaches etc. However I, and others on that thread have twin exhausts nearer the centre line of the car than the original rear box. In the end I fitted a behind seat deflector and two curved exhaust trims to throw the exhaust down and outwards and the fumes exit 75mm further back from the bumper. My exhaust fumes were coming straight over the centre line of the top of the boot lid drawn in by the low pressure created by the windscreen.

The SS exhaust trims I fitted off Ebay were less than £5 each, So if you have no exhaust leaks (get someone to restrict exhaust with engine running whilst you check for leaks) try a curved exhaust trim of the correct size to fit over your exhaust.

Can't say they look as stylish as the original but the car is no longer trying to kill me with the fumes, and it's nice not to have a headache.

If you need any further info please don't hesitate to ask me.

Alan

+1 with Shaun for exhaust gaskets:- manifold/head, manifold/pipes, pipe joints alongside gearbox. If the engine blow-by is directed into a catch tank, there too.

Peter

If it's bad with the top up then does this not indicate fumes getting into the car through the bulkhead, gearbox seals/ floor ?

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire

Hi Steve,

I was thinking something similar.

The back of the TR6 is rather square and causes quite a turbulence in the airflow.

With the roof down there is a significant backwash causing the airflow to move forwards. You see this a lot on convertibles - drivers hair (if any) blowing forwards.

With the roof up then this airflow is calmed down a great deal and should send most of the gases back away from the car.

So if it is coming in with the roof up then the engine bay and exhaust piping must be a serious contender for a good inspection.

Or .... a Surrey top.

Roger

Lots of similar problems to mine - restrict exhaust flow to check for leaks and then a rolling road to set the car up may be the next step - any suggestions for someone near to Ipswich that does this?

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated

Clive Manvers at Elmswell is your best bet for diagnosis, not sure is he has a rolling road but he certainly knows the cars.

This is not an uncommon problem with the small chassis Triumphs. After you are happy the exhaust manifold and system are not blowing there can be a couple of causes. A flaky gearbox cover either not being sealed and or broken letting in fumes. The rear exhaust pipe being short and fumes being sucked back into the car.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Hi REllerby.

It might not be exhaust fumes.

it was vaporising glycol from the antifreeze as this was dripping onto the hot manifold :wacko:

I had a similar issue a few years ago.

Check the heater return pipe hasn't started leaking, it runs the length of the engine and is just above the manifold.

open the bonnet, start the car and check to see if you can either see or hear the antifreeze dripping on the manifold.

might be worth a check ;)

• 1 month later...

Hmmm I actually now went looking for leaks under the bonnet. The previous owner has replaced the long pipe thing with three air filters bolted on the injector housing and has mini air filters attached to the rocker cover breathers and one of the is smoking blue oil fumes that are pungent (I have a bag with the old bits in). I am hoping against hope that I have not bought a car with an engine that has broken rings or valves as it is also misfiring on one cylinder. Does anyone know a good mechanic in the Cotswolds area that is just a guy and not a huge company that has to maintain expensive PR (saw an advert for Cotswold Classics and realised their premesis must cost £1000s a day and the money has to come from somewhere!).

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Charles

Try Maynard Motorsport at

Unit 10/Merretts Mill/Bath Rd, Stroud GL5 5EX

01453 833185

Speak to Mark Alex or Martin. They will tell you where you are with the engine.

They also have a rolling road.

Steve

Hmmm I actually now went looking for leaks under the bonnet. The previous owner has replaced the long pipe thing with three air filters bolted on the injector housing and has mini air filters attached to the rocker cover breathers and one of the is smoking blue oil fumes that are pungent (I have a bag with the old bits in).

Charles

Hi Charles,

That's an interesting observation (about the rocker cover breather). For info; the biggest reduction in fumes I have managed in my 6 so far was to fix a weeping breather pipe between the flame trap (you are missing) and the rocker cover. It was old and cracked around the pipe clip - just enough to drop a bit of oil onto the exhaust manifold! Took ages to track it down - but big improvement. I still have a bit of an exhaust smell - but I think the burning oil was the main problem.

Anyway , if you can actually see blue fumes - very low cost and easy to do away with the filter and stick the flame trap in.

Hope it helps,

Michael

Thanks guys will see what I can do over the weekend....

No one has mentioned why the back of the TR6 is painted BLACK !...It wasn't done to look nice!

Check out the back of any flat back Van or Truck that hasn't been washed for a while...it'll be dirty with exhaust deposits!