Wiper switch wiring / wipers not parking

Hi,

I have a 1973 TR6, with a two speed motor, and a round wiper switch.

I have a problem that my wipers are not parking. I have searched the forum and there are a number of similar threads, but they generally end saying connect wire A to terminal number x. Unfortunately, my wiper switch does not seem to have any numbers on it, so I cannot follow the instructions.

The wiper switch is round, and it has 6 terminals on it, 4 round the edge, and 2 in the middle. The switch has a raised "tab" at the top to stop it rotating, so looking from the front (ie the knob in front on me) wires are connected as follows:

10 O'Clock - Brown / Green

11 O'Clock - Red / green

TAB - 12 O'Clock

1 O'Clock - Green

2 O'Clock - Blue/Green

The 2 terminals in the middle of the back of switch are connected as follows:

Top one - Green / Black

Bottom one - Green (with a link to the green wire connected to the terminal at 1 O'Clock)

Looking at the postings, there is one which talks about turning the switch left for 1st Speed / centre off / right for 2nd speed.

That is not how my switch works. It is fully anti-clockwise for off, turn clockwise once for 1st speed, and clockwise again for 2nd speed (and then back again for 1st speed and off).

I used my multimeter to take some readings in the plug in the back of the motor, and this is what I found:

Switch off 1st speed 2nd speed

Blue /gr 0 volts 7 volts 10 v

Brown / gr 0 v 0 v 0 volts

Red / gr 0 v 10 volts 13 volts

Green 0v 0v 0v

Looking at the forum, it seems that the green wire should be live and it is not, so that is presumably why the wipers are not parking, but I do not know if the wiring at the switch is wrong, or if the green wire is broken / miss-connected somewhere (it just disappears into the loom).

I would be grateful for any help,

Many Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick!

You do not say if the wipers keep going in the off position, having been being switched on? If this is the case, it always seems to be the switch? This switch is a well known fault area! Moss have now come out with a reasonable re-pro from the USA. It is not cheap!

If you remove the switch you will see that the terminals on the inside outer edge are numbered 1,2,3,&4

It is wired as follows: With switch in the following positions---------

Wiper off 2 & 1 connected, Wiper Low Speed 3 & 2, Wiper High Speed 4 & 3. The 2 centre terminals are Washer Pump on when pushed in.

Wire colours: Green power in # 3 and centre term, U/GL to #4 term, R/LG to #2 term. & N/LG to #1 term. Lastly the other centre term LG/B goes to the washer motor.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Bruce,

Thank you for the message. To answer your question, when I turn the wipers off they are off. They just stop wherever they happen to be when I turn them off (ie they do not park).

As I say, I cannot see any numbers on the switch at all, but if the terminals are numbered clockwise looking front on, then the wires are attached to the correct terminals according to your information.

Looking at the wiring diagram further, it seems to me that the problem is that I have no power on the green wire going to the motor, and that this should come directly from the fuse box, not via the switch. I have tried poking a wire into the green wire in the connector into the motor and then jumping it to the green on the fuse box, but that does not make the wipers park either. I am tempted to cut the green wire going into the wiper motor to get a good connection, but I don't really want to do so as it disappears into the loom and I would prefer not to damage the loom.

I will have to think about this a bit more.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi

I should have said that I fitted a new wiper motor and rack as the wipers were slow anyway. Reading the forum about problems with worn racks etc I took advantage of a "special offer" discount from one of the suppliers and bought a new one. It could be that the new one has the same problem as the old one but I hope not.

Clearly I should have checked out the existing installation first. I know - a fool and his money ...

Thanks for your help

Nick

The wipers on my last tr6 did not park when I bought the car.

The wires were not connected properly, ie to the wrong terminals!

The park mechanism works by having power applied when the wiper switch is OFF, it operates the motor via a switch inside the wiper motor that cuts the power when the wipers are parked.

Hence the wipers run with the switch in the off position, but stop when they park.

So I suggest you test this by applying power to the appropriate wire, I don't have a diagram to hand to tell you which colour I'm afraid.

If the wipers then park, the fault is the switch, if they don't it's wiring as you've changed the motor already.

Steve

Nick,

Check the contacts in the wiper motor plug/socket. Do they all ring through from point A (switch) to point B (Plug/socket)?

Bruce

Nick,

There are 2 green wires used to operate the wipers. One green comes from the Voltage Stabilizer to the wiper switch and the other comes from the fuse box direct to the wiper motor. (I was a bit confused at your posting) This is a permanent live with the Ing / sw switched on only. That's why I said check the wiper plug and socket. the female terminal(s) can open up and loose contact or is there a problem with the Lucar connector on the fuse box. I assume that your indicators work (also a green wire) as the wire on my car is piggy backed on this connector as well. My harness is original.

Bruce.

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions. To answer Pete, no never parked.

I have now solved the parking problem with the help of the document in this link, which gives step by step instructions of how and what to test:

triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Windshield%20Wiper%20Motors.pdf

It turned out to be no power on green wire, so I have cut the wire, and run a new one from the fuse box green.

I, of course now have a new problem! I was so pleased with myself that I put the wiper blades on and turned on the wipers to check the operation, but I had not noticed that the wiper park the wrong side. Instead of going left, they went right. Before I could realise what was going on and turn the wipers off, they turned beyond the bottom of the screen forcing the wiper arm into the scuttle, and pushing the wiper box back so that the plastic bit which holds the water jet broke. Then the fuse blew saving the car from further damage. At least the new motor seems to have plenty of torque.

I now have a gouge in the paint, and I have to buy some more plastic bits to go around the wiper spindles. Are these plastic bits all much of a muchness, or does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy them?

I am sure that I have seen somewhere on how to fiddle with the motor to get the wipers to park on the correct side (for the UK), but if anyone has the link to hand that would be helpful.

Nick

Hi NICK YOU NEED TO TAKE THE FOUR SCREWS OUT ON TOP OF THE MOTOR AND REMOVE THE PLATE THEN TAKE THE CLIP OF THE TOP OFF THE GEAR AND REMOVE IT ON THE UNDER SIDE YOU WILL SEE A PLASTIC RAMP TAKE OUT CAREFULLY WITH A SMALL SCREW DRIVER AND THEN PUT IT BACK IN THE OTHER TO HOLES OPPOSITE THEY WILL THEN PARK ON THE DRIVERS SIDE DONE MINE TO DAY BEST OF LUCK

Roy.

Roy,

Many thanks. My ramp is not detachable, but is part of the plastic cog. However, I have basically done what you said, and rotated the plastic cog 180 deg on the metal shaft, and the wipers now park on the correct side.

Just need to get eh new plastic bit, and can put the wipers on,

Thanks for all of the help and support,

Nick

OTT but wiper relevant, in order to pull the arms ends off the splined spindles if they don't like the idea, put an open ended spanner as a spacer in the gap between the arm end and the chrome nut that holds the rubber bit down to the scuttle top, then undo the chrome nut with another spanner to push them off. Works a treat. (Think I needed to research some terminology there a bit though....)