Front Suspension Seals

Hi Fellahs

I am about to replace the 16 x seals on the front suspension, ref part no 115702 (Moss ref.107 and 116). as they appear to have perished. (repro´s again).

Does anyone have any special tips on what to look out for, and what to do and what not to do.

Thanks all

Dave

These never seem to last very long. I had most of my suspension apart this week to solder up the base of the trunnions, and I replaced the rubber seals with some slices taken off a bicycle inner tube. These are much more elastic than the originals, & tend to stay in place better, also you can cut them to whatever width you like. Time will tell if they last any longer, but I am optimistic.

Bob.

I use wide Tie Wraps or side by side regular tie wraps on the inner areas that need the suspension pulling to bits to change.

Link here

http://www.alltradedirect.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=342_350

Peter W

I would be inclined to try these the next time on mine....they have to be better than the rubber ones....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR3-3A-3B-Front-Lower-Arm-Wishbone-Gease-Seal-Kit-SuperPro-Poly-/331403830320?fits=Car+Make%3ATriumph%7CModel%3ATR+3&hash=item4d29352430

Cheers

M. Pied Lourd

Kit includes 4 seals. TR needs 4 per side on inner ends of the lower arms, 4 per side at the trunnion = 16 needed = 4 kits = £40 !

Think I'll stick to inner tubes !

Maybe a combination of innertube sections with cable ties over the top to keep in place ?

Bob.

I too have resorted to wide tie-wraps but I wonder has anyone tried butyl rubber self-amalgamating tape as used for electrical insulation? That can be wrapped around without any dismantling and as the name suggests amalgamates into a solid ring of material.

Rob

I too have resorted to wide tie-wraps but I wonder has anyone tried butyl rubber self-amalgamating tape as used for electrical insulation? That can be wrapped around without any dismantling and as the name suggests amalgamates into a solid ring of material.

Rob

That is an interesting thought Rob. If that tape relies on a mechanical bond then there would be no adhesive for the grease to attack.

This thread reminds me I need to check my trunnion seals. They have been installed for over a year but have not been exposed to the elements yet.

Stan

Rob

Hi Rob

Sounds good, but where do you get it, certainly not here in Spain. Is it a Halfords line?

Dave

Should be readily available even in Spain Dave - Screwfix do it (code 87717), Halfords have it (code 187719) , Its also available from RS, Farnell and Maplins. I think any decent electrical supplier or DIY store in europe should carry it but as to what they call it locally ????.

Rob

I think this is the same size as TR - fits Mini rear radius arm - No idea of the quality compared to the rather poor repros sold for TR.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Suspension/Radius%20arms%20fittings/2A7327.aspx?1908&ReturnUrl=/shop/Classic/Suspension.aspx|Back%20to%20shop

Willie - that may not be the same stuff, that sounds like ordinary PVC adhesive tape.

I have ony ever seen self-amalgamating tape in black (though the interlayer which stops it sticking to itself while while reeled up can be in a variety of colours). It isn't a conventional sticky tape and has no adhesive coating. It is a natural-looking rubber material. You have to peel off the inter-layer and then it has to be stretched quite a lot as you wind it on. As the stretch relaxes the rubber binds to itself and combines. You can't un-wind it once stuck, it has to be cut off.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The ref no is Superpro SPF2496K which is a kit of dust seals not tape, inner tube bits or any other substitute - they are the proper job.

Good luck,

Willie

Should be readily available even in Spain Dave - Screwfix do it (code 87717), Halfords have it (code 187719) , Its also available from RS, Farnell and Maplins. I think any decent electrical supplier or DIY store in europe should carry it but as to what they call it locally ????.

Rob

Rob

You´ll be lucky! Here in Spain we don´t get those shops you mention. The times I have tried to locate Maplins or its equal as I need many radio type spares for the model railway wiring, just placed an order with Vehicle Wiring in England for some parts as still nothing here. I will have to ask my pal in Liverpool to go to Halfords or Maplins for me, now we have a ref or part number.

Thanks anyway for the leads, much oblged.

Dave

I use 1/4" wide tie-wraps. You can put them on after assembly - unlike the rubber bands. Mine have been on for years. After you pull them tight, clip off the excess length and hide the clipped end behind so a concours judge can't see them.

$2.00 for a bag of about 2 dozen tie-wraps.

Hi Don et al.

Seems like the popular solution are plastic tie wraps like you use to group small cables together with, so that is what I will do as that doesn´t need to take the suspension down to get to the inner ones.

Thanks All for your responses and ideas.

Dave

Hi Don et al.

Seems like the popular solution are plastic tie wraps like you use to group small cables together with, so that is what I will do as that doesn´t need to take the suspension down to get to the inner ones.

Thanks All for your responses and ideas.

Dave

Dave,

Self-amalgamating tape is very common here in Spain (you may search for “cinta autovulcanizante”), see for instance:

http://www.mocap.com.es/cinta-autovulcanizante-x-treme.html

http://e-ferreteria.es/otras-cintas-adhesivas/11167-cinta-caucho-autoamalgamante-6-7x19x0-76.html

http://es.rs-online.com/web/c/adhesivos-sellantes-y-cintas/cintas/cintas-de-autoamalgamar/

In fact, this is what I used I renewed the bushings and the new seals in the kit lasted a couple of days, and perished by themselves, even before putting the car on its wheels.

Jesus

Hi Jesus

Now I know what to ask for it will be much easier to get it locally.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

You may find the tape at shops like Leroy&Merlin, BricoMart or BricoDepot. If you fail to source it, I can send one roll to you.

Jesús