Gearbox Problem With 2nd Gear...

Since my sticky clutch issue which I think is resolved, I now I have a gearbox issue.

I had the box sorted last year and I have only done a 1000 miles since. The box has been out 3 times now because of the clutch, twice in the last couple of months. I am having a problem getting 2nd mainly but sometimes 1st. No problem getting 1st when I stop and sometimes 1st and 2nd are perfect for a good drive, this has only been happening in the last couple of months, initially I thought it was my sticky clutch but now i think it's more sinister.
2nd gear seems to fight me and if I push to hard it will crunch, it feels like it's going half way in and then wants to pop back out, also when this problem is happening and I am in 3rd and I accelerate & decelerate I notice there is more movement in the gearstick back & forth.
Is there anything I can look for? i.e selector forks etc. or is it box out again & back to the rebuilder again.

I really want to move fast on this as we are off to Spain on 10th September to drive up through France taking in Angouleme but the way things are looking it ain't gone be in a TR.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kevo_6

Kevo

You should have two bolts one each side and one at the back? the two on the side have locknuts yes?

Yes Neil, I have adjusted them as per the manual, the only thing I noticed is the spring & plunger was not very strong because when I took the stick out both stayed in the stick. The weird thing is when I put the car in the garage the gear change felt quite smooth as I took the spring and plunger out earlier.

We had similar problems on a refurbished gearbox

bought at Stoneleigh for quite a heavy price.

First idea was a sticky clutch, too but when i got

the gearbox for examination I found that the bronze

under the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear was sticking and the

distance shim at the 3rd gear was eating the 3rd gear.

Was an expensive repair because also the mainshaft was damaged,

the syncrorings are spoiled and a lot had to be done to find the proper shims.

Seems to be that the gearbox at refurbishment was shimed not correct.

Kev

Then measure the movement at the slave on full press it needs to 15/16 mm if that is right then the box is at fault.

Thanks Neil, I will check the movement tomorrow evening, if it's less I guess I will bleed again to get to spec and go fo a spin?

Unfortunately I'm fairly sure I've got good travel.

Edited by Kevo_6

We had similar problems on a refurbished gearbox

bought at Stoneleigh for quite a heavy price.

First idea was a sticky clutch, too but when i got

the gearbox for examination I found that the bronze

under the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear was sticking and the

distance shim at the 3rd gear was eating the 3rd gear.

Was an expensive repair because also the mainshaft was damaged,

the syncrorings are spoiled and a lot had to be done to find the proper shims.

Seems to be that the gearbox at refurbishment was shimed not correct.

OK thanks Andreas.

Have you had the box apart?

Have you checked the pull-off tension on the levers?

Sounds like you need to get inside to have a look.

I've recently done the box on mine due to a worn layshaft and in the process found the incorrect spring lengths in the sychro hubs which was making gear changes more difficult than desirable...too long.

Have you had the box apart?

Have you checked the pull-off tension on the levers?

Sounds like you need to get inside to have a look.

I've recently done the box on mine due to a worn layshaft and in the process found the incorrect spring lengths in the sychro hubs which was making gear changes more difficult than desirable...too long.

Hi Shaun

I've not had the box apart, bit of a woose when it comes to gearboxes, ok with everything else.

Not checked the pull-off tension, is it likely to be this?

As I don't know what I am doing with gearboxes and I am running out of time, taking it somewhere is my only option.

Many thanks.

Edited by Kevo_6

Kev

Then measure the movement at the slave on full press it needs to 15/16 mm if that is right then the box is at fault.

Hi Neil

I've got 15mm movement, so I started stripping out the interior & gearbox cover then opened the bonnet to disconnect the battery and noticed clutch fluid all around the cap and below the master cylinder, this is a new MC. I read in apost when searching a few weeks ago and someone had the same problem changed the cap and all was good but for the life of me I can't remember.

Could this cause me a problem with my gear change, shall I still pull the box?

Is it a possibility to dis the prop and test when up on ramps?

Many thanks.

Kev

I know you have the book but?have you got the slave the right side of the plate and is that plate the right side on the gearbox/engine?

Neil, the plate is bolted engine side and the slave is going in from gearbox side, if that makes sense.

Kev

That is correct ,if the bleed nipple is at the top? then you have a gearbox problem sorry.

Ok mate thanks, clutching at straws (pardon the pun). I will whip it out tomorrow.

Cheers.

Edited by Kevo_6

Kev

How fast do you need this sorted and can you travel at short notice?

I was taking it back to Pete Cox Saturday morning as he only did it 12 months ago with barely a 1000 miles on it. Can only travel at weekends and I travel to Spain in it (hopefully 11th September)

Kev,

This is worth a try and a cheap fix if it sorts the problem:

Remove the gearbox top cover assembly and hold it upside down - you will see three slotted plugs in a line and all three should be level with the surface of top cover, if not screw out until they are and test drive.

These little chaps often get screwed in too far on a rebuild and can cause the problem you are experiencing with 1st and 2nd selection; in fact you may find the left one when viewed upside down (1st/2nd dentent adjuster) is the only one screwed in too far.

Cheers

Andrews

Kev,

This is worth a try and a cheap fix if it sorts the problem:

Remove the gearbox top cover assembly and hold it upside down - you will see three slotted plugs in a line and all three should be level with the surface of top cover, if not screw out until they are and test drive.

These little chaps often get screwed in too far on a rebuild and can cause the problem you are experiencing with 1st and 2nd selection; in fact you may find the left one when viewed upside down (1st/2nd dentent adjuster) is the only one screwed in too far.

Cheers

Andrews

Thanks Andrew I'll give that a check.

I hope it is just that Andrew but I doubt it ? Kev who rebuilt the box?

ntc, on 19 Aug 2015 - 8:53 PM, said:

Kev

I was taking it back to Pete Cox Saturday morning as he only did it 12 months ago with barely a 1000 miles on it. Can only travel at weekends and I travel to Spain in it (hopefully 11th September)

I did reply to your previous post.

ntc, on 19 Aug 2015 - 8:53 PM, said:

Kev

I did reply to your previous post.

Sounds like a good idea Kev

If you remove the cover then you may have a problem.