55 Amp Dynamo looking alternator

Hi all

Has anyone come across a 55 Amp alternator inside what looks like a dynamo ?

Lots of 45 Amp units around via Google but I'm after a 55 Amp unit to fit to a TR3.

Please don't question why 55A not 45A...

Thanks if anyone can help.

Cheers

Rob

The problem with those things is the cooling. An alternator regulator and rectifier needs to be kept cool but its very difficult when sleeved in a dynamo casing and mounted close to the exhaust manifold. A 45amp unit is pushing it a bit for reliability let alone 55A.

I had a Dynalite for a couple of years then it overheated and the regulator popped. I replaced the regulator (the innards are Denso) and stuck it on the shelf. I now have a 60A Denso with heat shield even though I have a standard exhaust manifold and the Denso is quite short.

Machining ventilation slots in the dynamo casing might defeat the object if an original look is required.

Hi

My experience with the Dynalite / Dynamo type alternators has not been good either. They tend to overheat and break, just like, the old LUCAS LRA 105. I settled on a small DENSO alternator and found a 60 amp and 85 amp alternative which are sufficiently small that they fit the space and can be hidden / shielded reasonably easily and they seem to last a long time in the most arduous of conditions. The smaller 40 amp is also a very good unit and should work for most unless you are using trick lights and trip meters, hot air blowers, heated screens and all that rally stuff ...

You can buy then from the usual places and sometimes on eBay and most suppliers can furnish you with a BASTUCK fitting kit for £20 or so. Similarly the plugs are available for circa £10 each, and the tiny pin version seems to be better than the spade in use as it attaches harder and can be sealed.

One word of warning though, I believe that you really need to buy an ND stamped original Denso unit, not the cheap reproduction as my experience is that the these fail very quickly, purely because they are not well made. The ND logo is on the tin plate end cover.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Tony

Hi

My experience with the Dynalite / Dynamo type alternators has not been good either. They tend to overheat and break, just like, the old LUCAS LRA 105. I settled on a small DENSO alternator and found a 60 amp and 85 amp alternative which are sufficiently small that they fit the space and can be hidden / shielded reasonably easily and they seem to last a long time in the most arduous of conditions. The smaller 40 amp is also a very good unit and should work for most unless you are using trick lights and trip meters, hot air blowers, heated screens and all that rally stuff ...

You can buy then from the usual places and sometimes on eBay and most suppliers can furnish you with a BASTUCK fitting kit for £20 or so. Similarly the plugs are available for circa £10 each, and the tiny pin version seems to be better than the spade in use as it attaches harder and can be sealed.

One word of warning though, I believe that you really need to buy an ND stamped original Denso unit, not the cheap reproduction as my experience is that the these fail very quickly, purely because they are not well made. The ND logo is on the tin plate end cover.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Tony

Tony, what is your opinion on these lightweight units on a road car that are supplied by the likes of Racetorations, TR Enterprise & AES etc? Quite like the idea of space saving & the better performance they seem to offer over the standard alternator.

Cheers.

I would echo Tony's point about buying genuine Denso if you can and look for the Denso logo impressed on the back cover of the alternator. The Bastuck supplied E310COMP is I think a Denso copy.

Monty,

I think that was the style of unit that Tony was referring to (DENSO) .

Mike

I think the ones the likes of Racetorations etc. sell are the Powerlite brand.