Poly bushes

Not had the car that long but I have just started to look at one or two things after advice from TR Bitz when they collected and checked the car over for me.

I have just replaced the steering rack bushes and decided to go for the poly bushes. Didn't think the change would make so much difference but wow the turn in is now so much better.

So the question is (as I know I need to replace the diff to chassis bushes) do I go for poly bushes here or just a standard bush. No intention of doing track days or anything like that just want it to be a nice road car. I am afraid of making it too harsh in some areas when everything else is standard

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

My advice would be to use poly bushes in any location rather than modern rubber which seems to have a life measured in months. There is a softer polybush, with holes in, available for the diff mounts. Available from Moss and I am sure other dealers.

Cheers

Graeme

Barry, I switched my TR6 to all poly years ago except for the steering rack mounts which are solid aluminum. I cant say I noticed any difference in ride comfort. It was harsh before and it is harsh after but it does drive very nicely. I added some grease fittings into the trailing arms so I could give those bushes a shot of grease every couple of years to discourage any squeaking.

Stan

You should keep in mind that rubber gets hard by the years,

So even the hardest new rubber or poly bushes will be softer.

Anyway the bushes do not have that influence on the riding comfort

as long there is rubber or poly used as all.

Keep in mind that the center in the rubber bushes moves through the years

and it is essential to reset the wheel setup after changing the bushes

because after that the center sits back in the middle and if the

wheels setup was done in the last years it will be wrong now.

• 4 weeks later...

Does any one have an opinion whether to use the polybushes supplied by Rimmers (<£200 a set) or the Super pro bushes (as supplied by Moss >£400 a set).

Would buying the more expensive set from Moss make much difference for a car used solely on the road?

Cheers

Hi Mark,

I bought Superflex bushes from Chris Witor primarily because he could supply them in yellow to match my Mimosa car. This was in 2001 and I have always been delighted with them. Probably the best mod I have ever done on the car.

I did try some front anti roll bar bushes from Rimmers but the quality was very poor compared to the Superflex as the Rimmer ones had air holes in them instead of being super smooth.

However, that was 14 years ago so all may have changed by now.

Regards

Les

Chris Witor Superflex are better quality and reasonably priced, dont be taken in by cheap alternatives.

Stuart.

Poly bush from Superflex is definitively my choice based on experiences w/ TR6 and Stag. On top it is as per my standard the best combination Quality vs Price, choice and the customer oriented services (advices and support) from Chris Witor is a must.

Have a look on the web site: http://www.superflex.co.uk/categories.php?cat=71

And read the extra technical article

Best regards

Edited by Marc R
  • 4 months later...

Anybody any experience of using TR shop Poly bushes? I notice they seem a lot cheaper than others available. I also notice that each trailing arm bushes come in two sections so looks a lot easier to fit.

Not interested in racing or track days road use only!

I used TR Shop's poly bushes and had no problems fitting any of them.

And the ride? Are they ok on that front ..not too stiff? Do you need to use any special grease or anything installing? many thanks

And the ride? Are they ok on that front ..not too stiff? Do you need to use any special grease or anything installing? many thanks

Ride seems fine and not too stiff, I used copper grease on all bushes, might be other types of grease that are better but fine so far.

The only problem I had was the bushes for the trunnions which are nylon not poly, didn't fit with all the o-rings and washers so had to take it all off and start again without the o-rings/dust shields. The problem was that I could not get the bolt to lock together with the bushes as it was rotating in the trunnion, anyway got it sorted in the end.

Edited by TRseks