Clip On Overtaking Mirror

Now fitted to driver's side. Got it from Holdens. Modified the bracket as per Lebro's advice (using a lump hammer with a bit of cardboard as padding.) I drilled two dimples in the stanchion to ensure that it doesn't fall off!

Now the shiniest bit on the whole car!!

post-13503-0-85689000-1441717154_thumb.jpg

post-13503-0-36663000-1441717124_thumb.jpg

.........oh and this is the before shot!

post-13503-0-78874800-1441720718_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben Freer
  • 1 year later...

If you have a later sidescreen car with the windscreen attached with chrome set screws then a HD mirror will screw straight in with no alterations to either car or mirror. Use the appropriate loctite to prevent the arm rotating and its job done.

Hi Ian

Are you referring to this?

http://www.drled.nl/...jderszijde.html

I have a 1959 TR3A

I like the idea but can't quite understand how it fits. I assume you take one of the screws (dzus?) out of the side of the windscreen and drill through the hole to make it deeper. Then, you stick the arm of the mirror through it and somehow bolt it inside the car. Is that it?

EDIT

I guess your post referred to Harley Davidson mirrors. Did you mean a specific one? Otherwise, where do I start looking for one that, as you wrote, does not need any adaptations and drilling of holes?

Thanks

qim

Edited by qim

qim.

The one you show above would work on early cars which used Dzus fasteners to attach the stanchions.

Later 3A's (& B's) replaced the Dzus fasteners with a simple screw Initially still using the spacer between stanchion & body,

& then later the spacer was deleted, & thicker stanchions were bolted direct to the body.

In either case no drilling or any modifications are required. The Dzus type simply replace one of the fasteners (would I trust that method ?) the other (HD) type replaces one of the screws.

HD does refer to Harley Davidson.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hi QLM,

If you click on eBay and search for Harley Davidson Mirrors you will see a pair of chrome finish trapezoidal mirrors for £25.50. They are the ones that I have and they work fine. I have them mounted in the front stanchion hole. If I was being fussy, they could do with having the arms an inch or two longer but by moving my head a little I can see anything that is behind or overtaking.

I have kept the 'virginal' original rear view mirror above the dashboard but it gives a very narrow field of view.

Rgds Ian

In the end I went for the Dutch solution. So far very pleased.

post-7533-0-75318000-1477050251_thumb.jpg

Why the image is rotated I don't know....the original isn't!

Edited by iain

Hi qlm,

Apologies, the mirrors I clicked on were £25.98 and not £25.50. They were also 8mm thread rather than imperial so they wouldn't have worked, you need 5/16 UNF. Having said that, they look very similar to my mirrors, it would seem the HD have gone metric.

Rgds Ian

There appears to be more info on the eBay site with the 5/16 as part of description.

Seems a great idea if the stem fits instead of the windscreen fitting bolts