Hi Troops, it turns out that one of the circular arms of the half shaft that holds the UJ is oversize so the UJ itself is loose in its holder. Hope this makes sense. Damaged during a repair years ago? Who knows!

Anyway, I would really appreciate any advice re purchase of a new half shaft. are there different qualities?

Many Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine,

there are different qualities.

Contact Proptech Services Kidderminster https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=proptech+kidderminster&oq=Proptech&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j0l4.4945j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

They do the best standard design shafts. You must get a pair and replace both at the same time.

Some people modify to use CV joints - these are expensive and not necessary.

Roger

Thanks for the info Roger,

theres always a sting in the tail......

Just had the ujs replaced on the other side and it wasn't until doing this side that the fault came to light....

Wonder if I can get away without doing the other side as I do under 3000 miles a year and rarely go over 70 mph.

Was advised that the other side is sound.

Will check the records when I get home from work but I seem to remember a half shaft repair invoice in 2001.

I was looking at Moss and Rimmer, will give Proptech a call tomorrow.

Turns out the intermittant overdrive was not to do with the gear oil level. She occasionally jumps out of 4th gear and as long as you hold the gear stick in 4th the overdrive didn't drop out.

Cheers

Christine

Hi Christine,

it would be better to change both drive shafts (they come complete with UJ's) and keep the other good one as a spare (you will never need it).

Don't use Moss or Rimmer - they work OK but the Proptech shafts are the bee's knees.

Roger

Well Roger, I've got to have the Bees Knees haven't I.

Just rung Proptech and it sounds like I've got to bite the bullet and go for the pair, can I sell the good one? It's complete with GKN ujs!

How long do you reckon to fit?

Wishing Everyone a good time at The Show, I will be there next year with another shopping list!

Christine